PDA

View Full Version : I found a TOOTH while nursing today.

ALLEYCAT
06-22-2004, 09:06 PM
I found a TOOTH while nursing today. I know you think I should have seen this coming but I didn't. I am concerned that he is easily distracted and sometimes forgets to let go before turning his head away. This weeks seems the worst with him not wanting to nap and not wanting to nurse very long. And generally all over the place while nursing him.
How do I stop the head turning while attatched? What do you do about the easy distractions from tv, dad, birds or nothing at all? Has he been so difficult to nap because of the tooth coming in? Has anyone else been so out of tune with their little one?

SeekerMage
06-23-2004, 01:04 AM
Dont worry you are not alone! My sister found Lil'bits first tooth...total surprise to me. Some kids are just really good about getting teeth. This is probably why he is having a hard time napping though...try a little tylenol if he seems like he is still not sleeping or nursing good. So far it has helped our afternoon nursing sessions. As far as the distraction thing, the tooth shouldnt bother yhou while he is nursing as the way they latch there shouldnt be teeth contacting your breast....that is unless he decides to bite OUCH! As far as the head turning thing....try nursing in a less distracting area, or we have started using a blanket, not over her head or anything, just snuggled around her...she tends to play with the blanket rather then being bothered by things around her....that and some people use a nursing necklace. HTH!

hez
06-23-2004, 09:54 AM
We've had to move to nursing in areas with little to no distraction-- the blanket works now for about 2 minutes, then he pulls it off if he's really crotchety. I got REALLY mad at DH for talking to me while I was nursing DS a couple days ago-- DS pulled off and got a shower of milk all over his face! So, we just head upstairs to a bedroom where it's quiet, and it's usually not a huge deal.

I haven't gotten around to getting a nursing necklace, but I find that if his hands are occupied with a small toy (sometimes one in each fist!), it seems to let him focus better on nursing. occasionally letting me nurse downstairs with all the distractions of DH, dog, TV, etc. I guess DS's just as fidgity as his mommy! I can never sit still-- something must be moving!

Different teeth have affected DS different ways. His first two bottom teeth gave us a few rough nights, the first three top teeth came in without our even realizing it almost. The fourth top tooth has been bugging him the last two nights, but a little Tylenol or Motrin worked. Last night he only woke up once even though I know the tooth had been bugging him.

ALLEYCAT
06-23-2004, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the reassurance, I have been having a rough week. Yesterday I dropped him off the bed and today was rocking in the usual chair and turned it over and we both slid out the back into the doorjam. Bad Mommy. Last night he slept an hour at a time and then wanted to nurse. Today will not eat anything and just wants to nurse constantly. Thanks for the blanket suggestion. I put him in the sling and layed down and he seemed to be less distracted. Is a nursing necklace like that side reminder thing I have seen advertised? That seems fragile and not like something I want him tugging on.