PDA

View Full Version : Sharing breast pump - What to replace?

hudsonam
06-23-2004, 09:40 AM
I will be getting my sister-in-law's Medela breast pump (I'm not sure what the model is called, but I know it ran her about $300). If it's necessary to replace parts, what exactly do I need to replace?

ginalc
06-23-2004, 10:13 AM
I'm guessing that the pump is a Pump-In-Style? If so, you have 2 choices: buy all new tubing and accessories, or simply sterilize what comes in the kit and use your SIL's. That decision is entirely up to you. The directions will tell you how to sterilize everything if you choose this route. The only thing I would add is that you should never boil or microwave the actual tubing. Heat affects the tubing making it brittle and sometimes the attached adapter that fits into the bottle unit becomes brittle as well. New tubing will run you about $4.00 each and a new pump comes with 2.

Hospital lactation consultants would recommend buying all new tubing and parts. At the very least, you may need to replace the white membrane pieces that facilitate pumping. Mine seem to lose their effectiveness over time and they're also easy to lose during cleaning. Again, those pieces are relatively inexpensive, at about $1 each.

Good Luck!

gina, mom to 3

stillplayswithbarbies
06-23-2004, 05:02 PM
definitely replace the membrane valves. Those wear out and should be replaced about once a month anyway.

The horns can be sterilized. Since you are getting this from someone you know, I would just sterilize them. You might want to ask if she ever had thrush, I know that is sometimes hard to get rid of. (I don't know how long it can survive outside the body though)

The issue with borrowing a pump is that they are really only meant to last through one baby, so it might be worn out already, or might wear out as you are using it. Or it might not.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

american_mama
06-30-2004, 07:42 PM
I got a Medela Pump In Style from a friend and bought all new tubing and plastic parts from the Lactation Center at my hospital. The Lactation Center actually sold all their products through the Home Health Store at the hopsital. They new stuff was about $30 or $40 - a ripoff in terms of what it cost the manufacturer to produce, but I didn't mind paying it since I had gotten such an expensive pump for free.

I never had a problem with the membrane valves or with the pump seeming to conk out. I used it occasionally (maybe once a week, on average) for about 7 months, I think. I say use this pump for as long as it feels right and gets good results.

I think you can buy replacement parts directly from Medela, but I heard secondhand (don't know if it's true) that they won't sell them to you if you say that the pump was bought or received used. Medela really frowns on secondhand pumps, but I think it is just because they have a vested interest in getting everone to buy new. If your hospital doesn't have the parts, try Medela, but be prepared to be vague about how you get your pump. Also try calling your local representative of the La Leche League to see where you could get replacement parts.

Oregonmother
06-30-2004, 11:52 PM
If the hospital where you are delivering uses hospital grade Medela pumps you could ask them for the kit that goes with their machines (usually this is a covered expense for you hospital stay). It is the same equipment for the PIS except it has a different connector for the hospital grade pumps on the tubing end that plugs into the pump. All you have to do is cut off this connector and it works perfectly on the PIS. I work in a hospital and also received a used PIS and I talked to the lactation consultant before I had my baby and she just gave me one. If you have bought a new pump you could also get one of these kits in the hospital and then you would have a back-up set of horns,tubing and everything else. Hope this helps someone.

Alyssa

Kaiden 9/14/03