PDA

View Full Version : Is this what organic milk is supposed to taste like?

aa2mama
06-23-2004, 10:20 AM
The other day organic milk was on sale at the grocery store, so I decided to give it a try. The flavor was really strong, very metallic-tasting! It wasn't the least bit sour and was several weeks away from its expiration date. I've never tasted anything like it, but I thought it was awful and ended up dumping it down the drain. Is this what organic milk is supposed to taste like?

Rachels
06-23-2004, 02:35 PM
No, that's weird. Organic milk just means it's free of hormones, chemicals, and pesticides. There is nothing added that should make it taste metallic.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/character/2/character39.gif

"We have a secret in our culture...it's not that birth is painful, it's that women are strong!!" - Laura Stavoe Harm

aa2mama
06-23-2004, 08:06 PM
Whew! I've been wanting to switch to organic, but after that I wasn't so sure. I'll have to try a different brand. Thanks!

JElaineB
06-24-2004, 09:34 AM
Was it ultra-pasteurized? If the expiration date was a few weeks away it probably was. I find ultra-pasteurized dairy products have a slightly different flavor than nomal ones. But I would describe it more as a slightly "cooked" flavor. I don't think it tasting metallicy would be normal at all.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

aa2mama
06-24-2004, 12:05 PM
It seems like it was ultra-pasturized, but it definitely tasted more than "cooked".