PDA

View Full Version : How to introduce cereal?

lisaE
06-23-2004, 12:03 PM
I have done a search on how exactly to introduce cereal and can't find anything. Do I give it to DS once a day, twice, or what? Also, when do I give it to him? Should I not give it at night for a while, just to make sure there is no reaction?

I plan on giving it to him with a spoon, soupy consistency, etc., I feel like I know how to prepare it (thanks to wholesomebabyfood.com!) but can't find anything about the actual process.

I was planning on waiting until six months, and I feel very sad about giving it to him now. It's just that I feel like I am at my wit's end- I have got to get him to eat a little less frequently. He is still waking up several times a night to eat and wanting to eat a lot (frequently) during the day. I am exhausted, I just can't hang in there another month.

Thanks in advance

amp
06-23-2004, 12:16 PM
I'm sure you'll get lots of great advice from others. Here's what we did.

We introduced cereal in very small portions, after a regular bottle, at breakfast or lunch. He didn't get it everyday, and never more than once a day for a few months. We didn't go with soupy consistency, but it was more like yogurt consistency. We did rice cereal first, then oat, then we moved onto bananas and applesauce. We did not feed at night until later, when we moved to 2-3 meals per day, since we were afraid of upsetting his belly with this new food.

DebbieJ
06-23-2004, 02:02 PM
Give it to him once a day in the morning, after he's already had the breast or a bottle. That way if he has a reaction, you won't be up half the night with a screaming baby.

~ deb
Mommy to my sweet boy
B born 12/03

stillplayswithbarbies
06-23-2004, 04:55 PM
we started in the morning, in case she had a reaction we would know it during the day.

I just put a little on the spoon and held it up to her mouth until she opened her mouth. I would try about three bites each day until she learned to open her mouth, get it off the spoon and swallow it.

Starting solids should not make the baby nurse any less. Solids are just for practice until they are 1 year old, they still need the nutrition of the breastmilk.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03