PDA

View Full Version : Is it necessary to sterilize breastpump/parts & bottles?

newmomma
06-23-2004, 04:08 PM
Hi! I'm expecting in about 5 weeks. I am planning to use the Avent Isis pump for occasional pumping and if I go back to work 1-2 days per week. My dad is a pediatrician and told me that it is unnecessary to sterilize baby bottles, etc. unless the baby is premature or has immune-system problems. He says if the baby is normal and healthy, it's fine to just wash the stuff in hot water or in the dishwasher. But...when I called Avent they insist that the Isis pump and parts should be sterilized before using and daily after use. I don't know whether they are just trying to sell sterilizers or if I should really use one--help me out! If I do get a sterilizer, should I get the Avent electric one or their microwave sterilizer? Thanks for the help :-)

stillplayswithbarbies
06-23-2004, 04:50 PM
I sterilized the first time because you never know who was touching the parts in the factory or what they might have come in contact with.

After the first time, I just washed in hot soapy water, or the dishwasher.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

Laurelsmom2002
06-23-2004, 05:06 PM
I did the exact same thing, boiled them the first time using, and then dishwashered after that, if you melt any peices call advent and they will ship you new for free. Careful not to dishwasher the little white plastic star/flower peice cause your sure to loose that, and it wont have any suction w/out it. So I just hot soapy watered that.

bigsis
06-24-2004, 02:46 AM
I sterilized/boiled everything the first two months. After that, I was exhausted and followed "What to Expect the First Year" and just washed everything in hot, soapy water. The book says the whole boiling thing is from when we got water from the well a looooong time ago. So, in a nutshell, boil everything the first time, then put it all in the dishwasher or hand wash.

If you're going to use the dishwasher, get one of those baskets that you put everything into. I tried to put a couple of my Medela bottles in the bottom rack without the basket--they fell into the heating thingy and melted. Not my brightest moment!

momma_boo
06-24-2004, 09:28 AM
Just wanting to chime in...

I also sterilized all my pump/bottle parts the first time and then just handwashed with hot water and regular dish soap.

My MIL was stuck on the whole sterilize everything ALL THE TIME mentality: she would sterilize the pacifiers after each use or drop on the floor. Needless to say, they weren't meant to be boiled all the time, so I ended up having to throw most of those away b/c the nipples got weird.

Not to bust on Avent, but they sell a microwave sterilizer, so that's probably more of a reason for telling you to sterilize after every use.

nitaghei
06-24-2004, 10:29 AM
I sterlized everything for the first month or so - because my DS was in NICU for several days. After that, I just put everything in the dishwasher or used hot soapy water. I did sterlize the Isis before using it the first time (used the Medela bags) even though DS was 9 months old then. My rule is to sterlize the first time before use - for same reasons as Karen.

So, yes, I think Avent is trying to sell their sterlizers. My ped gave us the same advice as your dad. Once DS was healthy, I didn't need to bother with sterlizing.

HTH

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD