PDA

View Full Version : Why is one breast getting sore?

ntrainer
06-24-2004, 10:32 AM
I've got a lovely 4-week-old at home, who's been exclusively breast-fed, and things have been going well... but before last night's 12:30 a.m. feeding, my right breast was EXTREMELY tender at a spot right underneath my armpit, and the pain hasn't gone away despite many nursings between now and then (it's now about 10:00 a.m.), and one post-feed pumping to see whether I was just engorged with too much milk. I've also taken a shower, which felt good for many reasons, but the pain hasn't subsided.

This is the second night that this has happened at about the same time -- after the baby's longest stretch without nursing (4 or 4-1/2 hours). But if this was engorgement, wouldn't the pumping relieve the pain? Has anyone else experienced this? I'll be calling my lactation consultant (when the office opens), but I'm interested in hearing if anyone else has faced this problem...

nitaghei
06-24-2004, 11:06 AM
It sounds like a plugged duct. Warm compresses, pressure massage and lots of nursing should resolve it - it might take a day or two, though. Hopefully your LC will confirm. Rachel (rachels) recommends taking Lecithin 1200 mg 3x for plugged ducts. I've never tried it - because the two times I've had a plugged duct I've been able to take care of it without lecithin.

If you do a search for "plugged duct" the previous threads should pop up. And if you have the Sears Breastfeeding book - there's a lot of good information about resolving plugged ducts there, too.

HTH

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

ntrainer
06-24-2004, 05:09 PM
Nita,

Thanks so much for the quick response. I wasn't able to get in touch with my LC until much later in the day... and she also thought it was a plugged duct. After applying hot towels before nursing, applying a bit of pressure massage, wearing cabbage in my bra, and taking my first dose of lecithin, I actually feel pretty good right now. I wonder how long I should continue treatment, but I'm thinking there's nothing wrong with continuing for at least a full 24 hours. On the other hand, treating a plugged duct takes a heck of a lot of effort, so I'm wondering how I'll know it's unplugged. I'm sure some women get the duct to "pop," but I'm wondering if all moms have that happen.

ALLEYCAT
06-24-2004, 06:23 PM
I never felt anything "pop" I just eventually felt my breast get floppy with nursing a long time. Ds kept looking at me with a funny look on his face but continued to nurse. It was "the broken side" which is slow to let down, does not produce alot, and takes twice as long to pump half as much as the other. He finally nursed himself to sleep on that side and I left him on to be sure it was completely empty. Non of this pea sized lump here, my entire breast was hard and red and dh said it was twice as big as the other. I hope you get it resolved quickly.

proggoddess
06-24-2004, 08:49 PM
I get little sore lumps under my arms every so often. Annoying, but they go away in 2-3 days. I pump/nurse 8 times a day, and it still takes that long. The massage and hot towels make them feel better.

nitaghei
06-25-2004, 10:37 AM
I've never had it "pop." The lump just goes away, as does the pain. That's when I stopped whatever I was doing to unplug the duct. If you think you're prone to plugs - then lecithin might be the way to go, as a preventive. I know that it's worked for lots of women, and it's completely safe. So maybe stop everything else, but keep taking the lecithin?

HTH

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

Gayletmomto4
06-25-2004, 09:22 PM
I get these, too. I have never experienced the "pop"-they just get better with frequent nursing, massage and lots of water. Don't forget to up your fluids and get your rest. I tend to be more prone to them when I really tired (always?!).