PDA

View Full Version : Freezing EBM

neeter
06-30-2004, 09:56 AM
Hi all! I'm going back to work in a month, and am wondering how long frozen EBM will keep in the freezer section of my side-by-side fridge. The reason I'm asking is because the Lansinoh storage bags say 2 weeks! (If in a stand-alone deep-freezer, then 5 months). Is this true? It makes me nervous a little not to start pumping now!

Also, what's the best way to store these little bags? Sofar I have them laying flat in the freeze, inside another ziplock bag. Thanks so much!

Anita

stillplayswithbarbies
06-30-2004, 11:22 AM
Here is a storage chart:
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bf-links-milkstorage.html

When they say 2 weeks in the freezer, they are talking about the old style refrigerators that have a little freezer compartment inside of the main refrigerator.

The best way to store the bags is to let them freeze flat and then put a bunch of them into a ziploc freezer bag for extra protection.

Pumping now is a good idea. It is much less stressful to pump at work when you know you have a bunch in the freezer. No one should ever get in the position where they are pumping one day for what the baby will eat the next day. It's just too risky. What if you spill some, or forget to put it in the refrigerator when you get home.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

neeter
06-30-2004, 01:14 PM
oh oh oh i see! ok whew!! thank you so much! i feel better now! :)

lampes
06-30-2004, 01:32 PM
I used to freeze flat bags but found that the Gerber bags are a bit sensitive, i.e., I had a couple that stuck together and when I pulled them apart, one of the bags ripped. Sob. So now what I do is freeze the milk in ice cube tray (its about 1 oz per cube) and then stick two or four in a freezer bag. We use the vaccuum sealer and make our own bags. It's such a savings because Gerber bags can get expensive when you are freezing two bags a night.

neeter
06-30-2004, 02:27 PM
Thanks - that's a great hint. Uhoh - I have a pack of Gerber bags (and some Lansinoh samples). So far I really like the Lansinoh ones. I will have to look into a vaccum sealer! Thanks again!