PDA

View Full Version : Nipple soreness at 13+ months????

deborah_r
06-30-2004, 03:34 PM
DS has been nursing quite a bit lately. My nipples have been sore for a couple of days now - I wonder if he is not latching properly. I occasionally have to re-latch him and I see teeth marks on my nipple. I can usually feel it very clearly when he does that!

We just discovered some molars in his mouth yesterday (bad mommy didn't realize they were coming in - what can I say, he never wants to let me in his mouth!) He nursed almost continuously throughout the night last night, was driving me nuts because I was so tired! He also has a bit of a cough, but only during the night. I can hear some loose phlegm when he coughs. But he doesn't cough at all during the day.

This is just a whole bunch of stuff rolled into one post, but I don't really know what is going on with my little Kai. He is pretty happy and acting relatively normal, eating a fair amount of solids and drinking water and a little juice.

stillplayswithbarbies
06-30-2004, 04:36 PM
ugh, tell me about it. I have a split nipple that is every bit as bad as the one I had when she was a newborn. It started when she was getting molars. I know that when her mouth hurts, it is uncomfortable for her to latch correctly.

I do try to remind her, if I feel her biting or scraping, I say to her "be gentle with your teeth please" and she adjusts. But when she is teething, it is harder for her to find a latch that is comfortable for both of us.

Also, I have read that toddler saliva is more acidic and that can irritate nipples. And they might have bits of food in their mouth that can irritate nipples too.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

Laurelsmom2002
06-30-2004, 05:39 PM
When I got soreness this stuff saved my life, It would heal me up in a day or two. See if your ped/ob will prescribe it for you, there its a otc version you can do but IMO not as effective
http://www.bflrc.com/newman/overheads/All%20Purpose%20Nipple%20Ointment.htm