PDA

View Full Version : How bad is corn for an 8.5 month old

jec2
07-02-2004, 03:08 PM
Aaargh! I didn't read the label to the Earth's Best Potato & Green bean dinner and there is corn in there. I thought that babies weren't to have corn until 10-12 months but couldn't find much in my research last night. What can you all tell me.

If babies cannot have particular food until a particular age, then why do they put them in baby food?!

amp
07-02-2004, 03:39 PM
Juliet - corn is considered allergenic, so that's why lots of people hold off on it. I was, stupidly, unaware of this, so DS had corn around that same time. It didn't do any harm, so he isn't allergic now. Don't beat yourself up over it. It's done and at least you know to look for any allergic reaction. I don't know why they make baby foods with stuff in them that we aren't supposed to feed them (corn, berries, etc). Seems kind of dumb to me!

jbowman
07-02-2004, 04:13 PM
Juliet,

I noticed corn as an ingredient in quite a few of the EB "dinners"--so if you bought others, you might want to check the labels. I don't get this either!

TraciG
07-02-2004, 05:37 PM
I did the same thing gave Sydney something that had corn in it, didn't know it was in there until after she ate it, I also wonder why they put these food in the baby food too, like corn & even strawberries.

luvbug
07-07-2004, 12:17 PM
At my nine-month-old son's check-up last week I asked the doctor at what age to start feeding him corn. She gave the green light and mentioned she had never seen a child with an allergic reaction to corn. She believes as long as the parents aren't allergic the likelihood that the baby will have allergies is minimal. Hope this, and the fact that your child didn't have a reaction, relieves your anxiety.

mandye
07-07-2004, 12:24 PM
I was told the reason babies aren't supposed to have corn is because it doesn't digest and, therefore, harder to pass out of their systems, not because it is allergenic. If it is in baby food it is pureed and probably easier to digest.

mandy

papal
07-07-2004, 01:09 PM
Mandy, this is true.
We had a couple of intact corns in dd's poop yesterday (sorry if TMI).... i cooked some of that mixed frozen veggie with her rice and it had corn in there... no reaction but i guess it was hard to digest.

klinney
07-07-2004, 02:40 PM
Hi-
I was an idiot and didn't realize that corn was a problem. I started giving it to my son when he was about 6 months old. He loved it and never had any problems. I'd say if your child hasn't shown any signs of allergies you're fine.

squimp
07-07-2004, 02:58 PM
OT and TMI, but we've seen the same thing with peas. Those little shell coverings are really recalcitrant!

sntm
07-07-2004, 03:04 PM
Corn is fairly allergenic but not as bad as other things (and rarely anaphylactic allergies). It's troublesome if you develop a corn allergy though since it is in everything! You are at higher risk with a family history of allergies, but all babies have some risk.

Don't worry too much now -- what's done is done. Good lesson to read labels, though.

And the answer to why they put the corn in things is partially because it is cheap.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

jec2
07-07-2004, 10:15 PM
It strikes me as odd to have a corn allergy though since I know two people who cannot eat wheat so are resigned to mexican food and tequila. Mexican food since they use corn as opposed to wheat and tequila rather than beer, again the wheat in beer!

However, you are right it was a good lesson for me to read the labels. It just seems like they could have named it "Corn, Potato & Green Bean dinner."