PDA

View Full Version : soy formula? Is it OK?

zuzusmom
07-03-2004, 11:44 AM
I just started ZuZu on soy as a recommedation by the peditrician since she seemed to be showing signs of allergies such as extreme gas at night and stuffiness. I have been reading up on soy and it seems a lot of articles and research would not recommend soy for various reasons. My biggest concern is the development of a peanut allergy. Does anyone have some encouraging news ir suggestions for alternatives before I make a pack to stay on soy. By the way I am only supplementing with soy.

Thanks

tinkerbell1217
07-03-2004, 12:06 PM
Never heard of the peanut allergy thing, but both my older kids were on soy, Isomil, and they are not allergic to anything at all. They were both gassy with reg formula and DD was really bad and had a hard time. Until I switched to Isomil. It was a lifesaver! It's been years since then (DD is 15 and DS is 13) so I don't really have any advice on the newer formulas, but I have heard Good Start is great for tummy problems and I think they do make a soy if you wanted to try it. Hope that helps and eases your mind a little about the allergy part!

egoldber
07-03-2004, 03:07 PM
I would personally try a different brand formula or a non-DHA/ARA formula before switching to soy. Unless it is necessary, it is generally not recommended to use a soy formula. I know that my DD did not do well on Similac (gassy and fussy), but when I switched her to Enfamil, all was well.

HTH,

firsttimemommy
07-04-2004, 04:42 PM
My DD was on soy her whole babyhood and is not allergic to anything. She was put on soy after both Enfamil and Similac made her very gassy and we discovered she had reflux. My DH was also lactose intolerant as a child. My DS was also put on soy as a precaution since DD had to have it - my Pedi said he would most likely need it too. I wouldn't and didn't hesitate for one second to put them on soy. I do agree though that I would try another brand or two (like Good Start which is supposed to be gentler) of regular milk based before switching to soy, but if those don't work , I think soy is great!

Ronda
Mommy to Jenna born 1/10/03
and Jacob 4/26/04

Rikkele
07-05-2004, 04:30 PM
I switched DS to soy reluctantly due to extreme fussiness as a measure of desperation. It was another mom here on this forum who clued me in to the potential problems with soy. In the past week I have been doing my own reading on soy and am in the process of immediately weaning DS back to milk-based formula. I was shocked at what I discovered I did not know about soy. Just Google "soy formula" and you will find tons of web sites with info, some more radical than others. The best is the AAP statement on soy and also askdrsears.com has a very thorough and detailed review of formulas that is easy to understand. I am embarrassed to admit it but I am a BC pediatrician (haven't practiced in almost 3 ys) and I did not know this info! Sadly many peds residencies, mine included teach nearly nothing about formulas/feeding babies. I would venture to guess that a large number of peds out there also know very little about the differences in formulas and about soy in particular. This seem apparent from the large number of peds recommending soy formula without any medical basis. Even the AAP says it should never be used routinely and only if absolutely medically necessary. Research has disproven the idea that it prevents development of future allergies. It may actually predispose the infant to soy allergy later on which can be a problem since soy is in many foods.
Some of the sites you will find if you do a search are kinda radical like soyinfo.com. The testimonials here will freak you out but most of it really lacks any scientific merit.
The biggest concerns are that soy contains isoflavones which are phytoestrogens(estrogen-like compounds) which are active. ( This is why soy and phytoestrogens are recommended for menopausal women). They have been linked to a number of problems including hypo and hyperthyroidism, thyroid ca, male infertility, early puberty, menstrual problems, ADHD, etc. I don't know of any studies actually proving the connection but gives you something to think about. Also the aluminum content in soy formula is sky high. A fact which has been acknowledged but the AAP has concluded that it does NOT SEEM to be harmful. The bottom line from many of the experts is that there is so much that we just don't know about the long term consequences of soy formula. Now you can take all this with a grain of salt as I know there are ton of soy fed folks out there who are perfectly healthy. I would just suggest doing some reading about it before you stock up on the soy formula. Then do whatever you are comfortable with. For me I was just not comfortable with it and would never use soy again. (You may be wondering why I am formula feeding in the first place but that is a long and sad story) :-(
Hope this doesn't sound like a rant but I was just shocked that I didn't know this info and thought I would pass it along. HTH!

nathansmom
07-05-2004, 10:11 PM
I wouldn't do it. I had Nathan on soy for 2 weeks before my allergist found out. He had me take Nathan off right away. I now plan on not introducing peanuts to Nathan until at least age 5. I have severe peanut allergies and I'm scared to death over what I may have done to my kid. Feel free to email me privately and I'll share why I have huge fears of soy in large amounts.

helaina
07-05-2004, 11:29 PM
Maybe ZuZu's allergic to the casein in the formula and would do better on Nestle Good Start Supreme (which is most like breastmilk in that it only has whey protein and no casein). I've read that babies who had trouble on Similac, Enfamil, and generic formulas have done well when switched to the Good Start Supreme (only the Supreme is casein-free). Did Zuzu's formula have DHA in it? I've read babies have trouble with that too and often do better when switched to a formula that doesn't have it. The Nestle Supreme comes both with or without DHA.

If that doesn't work out the thing next people try are lactose-free formula or hypoallergenic formula (Alimentum, Nutramigen, Pregestamil). However Dr. Sears says that "Hypoallergenic formulas should not be used without a doctor's recommendation".

You might also want to try switching bottles. People say that Dr. Brown's and Playtex Premium Nursers are good for reducing gas. A crib wedge like the Dex Safe Lift Deluxe Crib Wedge may help relieve stuffiness. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000056J6Q/qid%3D1089081549/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/002-5029873-2244032

I'm basing all this on things I've read; I'm not speaking from any personal experience or expertise. Just thought you might find this helpful.