PDA

View Full Version : expired formula, should I throw it away?

CBB
07-04-2004, 02:49 AM
A friend gave us three cases of enfamil ready to use formula left over from her baby. Unfortunately the expiration date was 4/1/04. Each case contains 6 1Qt cans. Should I throw them away, what do you think? It seems like such a waste to throw them away.

Thanks,

Imperia
07-04-2004, 05:32 AM
I would not use it. Even if it hasn't spoiled or become unsafe for consumption, per se, the nutrional value and vitamin content of formula degrades over time. Feeding your child expired formula may result in them not getting enough of the vitamins and nutrients they need.

Before you throw it aweay you may want to see if you can take it to a store and exchange it for a fresh batch, some places will allow you to do that.

Imperia

JElaineB
07-04-2004, 09:13 AM
I wouldn't use it. If the expiration date is 4/1/04 that formula has been sitting in those cans for probably over 2 years. It is not worth risking your baby's health and well-being for $75 worth of formula.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

kijip
07-04-2004, 01:37 PM
I say toss it. It is false economy to salvage it. The vitamins in it, like bottles of vitamins have a shelf life. Once they are expired the nutritional benefits are not there. Unlike some products that have an expire date as a gimmick, formula actually expires.