PDA

View Full Version : is this a growth spurt? teething? needs more food? ...??

neeter
07-07-2004, 07:49 AM
hi all - ds is about 5 1/2 months. for one week, he was sleeping through the night! he was eating about 6 times a day. then starting last thursday, he went to eating twice a night (2am, 5:30am)...so now its 8 times a day. i thought maybe it was a growth spurt, but its been a week now. and i see his first teeth coming in (they have broken through the gums) so i thought maybe he was waking up in pain....

or could it be he's ready for solids? we're on day three of solids today...

just wanted to bounce some ideas off. should i try to nurse him an extra time during the day, if its the hunger? introduce more solids (we've been doing 1 tsp rice cereal). or just let it pass, since it could be the teething! all of the above??

your thoughts appreciated!!
thanks! anita

stillplayswithbarbies
07-07-2004, 12:45 PM
I would guess it might be the teething. Just nurse him whenever he wants to nurse. Some babies nurse for comfort more when they are teething.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

sntm
07-07-2004, 03:10 PM
Or maybe both at the same time. 6 months is common for growth spurts. Jack always nurses more when he is teething (sadly for me, as he had nightweaned HIMSELF for about a week until the teeth hit again :))
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

neeter
07-07-2004, 05:09 PM
thanks for your input...ds had nightweaned himself too -- too bad it lasted only for a week before the teeth came in.

how long does 'teething' last -- like when the tooth is fully up and in the mouth, or when it pokes through the gum??

thanks!!

sntm
07-08-2004, 10:51 AM
it had to poke all the way through the gum before the pain stops. for jack once they first went through, maybe another week? no more than that at least. keep nursing, and if you ever pump (or can handexpress a little) freeze some EBM into little cubes and give it in a baby safe feeder -- jack is loving frozen fruit pops and momsicles lately.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

neeter
07-08-2004, 03:49 PM
thanks shannon, great idea! i will do the momsicles! :)