PDA

View Full Version : Help me make a list of "forbidden foods" for DH

squimp
07-07-2004, 03:25 PM
For some reason, "we" are having trouble keeping track of what Sophia should not be eating. She is almost 9-months old. I've done lots of reading, but DH has not (hmmm, I suppose that's another post). So it's up to me to make sure he's not feeding her strawberries, egg whites and corn tortilla chips! (All near misses or hits in the last few days). He is extremely logical, and so wants to remember the short list of what he cannot feed her, rather than the longer list of what he can.

So can y'all help me make a list of foods that babies should NOT be eating? I will then write this on DH's arm with a sharpie ;) ..... Here's a start at this list.

Off-limits until 1 year old:

Egg whites
Cow's Milk
Strawberries
Tomato
Corn (? still confused about this one)
Seafood (salmon is an exception on askdrsears.com)
Citrus fruits

Off-limits until 2 years old:

Nuts, Nut butters
Honey
Chocolate
Coconut

THANKS!

babymama
07-07-2004, 04:34 PM
I use the list at wholesomebabyfood.com (stuck on the frig, although I like your suggested Sharpie method). Also thanks for the tip on coconut - didn't know that was to be avoided!

Honey After 1 year

Peanut Butter After 1 or 2 years*

Nuts After 1 or 2 years

Citrus Fruits After 1 year

Strawberries After 1 year

Corn After 1 year

Egg Whites After 1 year

Whole Milk After 1 year

Wheat After 10 months or 1 year

Chocolate After 1 year if at all

Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03

Imperia
07-08-2004, 03:36 AM
Do you know why Dr. Sears says salmon is okay so early? I am severely allergic to it myself, so obviously DD is getting any until she is 3, but I wondered why he sad it was okay? My mother blames herself because my favourite food as a baby (before I was a year old) was sushi! Specifically salmon sushi...wild huh?

Imperia

squimp
07-08-2004, 08:48 PM
That is wild, and I must say, sad, because salmon is so yummy - especially wild salmon! I think seafood allergies are very unpredictable, e.g., I'm allergic to many shellfish (scallops, lobster, crabs) but not others (shrimp, mussels, clams). Who knows!

Dr. Sears has salmon on the list of "least allergenic" foods, and I don't know why. It's an interesting list, because peas are on the list of "most allergenic", and for many of us, that's our baby's first vegetable.

squimp
07-08-2004, 08:52 PM
www.askdrsears.com go to "feeding infants and toddlers"

Most-Allergenic Foods

berries
buckwheat
chocolate
cinnamon
citrus fruits
coconutcorn (sic, I think these are supposed to be separated)
dairy products
egg whites
mustard
nuts
peas
peanut butter
pork
shellfish
soy
sugar
tomatoes
wheat
yeast

Least-Allergenic Foods

apples
apricots
asparagus
avocados
barley
beets
broccoli
carrots
cauliflower
chicken
cranberries
dates
grapes
honey
lamb
lettuce
mangoes
oats
papayas
peaches
pears
poi
raisins
rice
rye
safflower oil
salmon
squash
sunflower oil
sweet potatoes
turkey
veal

Momof3Labs
07-08-2004, 10:30 PM
I found lists to be too complicated for DH and my mom (we take turns taking care of Colin), so instead I created a shelf in the pantry and a shelf in the fridge of "approved" foods. The instructions were simple - anything on either of those shelves was okay to give Colin, and anything that wasn't on either shelf was off limits. It made things much easier in the early days of solids, when we waited 4-5 days between new foods, and continues to make things easier since they don't have to dig through the pantry to find something for Colin to eat!

Imperia
07-09-2004, 06:01 AM
That is wild, wow! I am severely allergic and it has gotten worse and worse over time. When I was younger I would "risk" it and just suffer a little because I love salmon *sob* But the last coupel of time I ate it started getting a full anaphylatic reaction...throat closing up, weezing, not being able to breathe etc. I am thinking of avoid all seafoodf with DD until she is 3 becaus eI don't want her to be deproved like I am lol.

Are you waiting on seafood with your child?

It's strange what is actually allergenic some of the most commonly eaten foods are actually the most allergenic like corn, soy, milk and wheat!

Imperia

georginawong
07-10-2004, 01:58 AM
I have a similar problem. Gigi just turn 6 months and all the cookbooks out there have a different starting age for many foods. Karmel says that it is ok to feed baby zucchini and brocolli between 4-6 months, fish between 6-9months but my peddy says after 10 months. ???

How would parents really know? and to top it all off, my mother has all this asian recipes where it is ok to feed the baby fish and dried scallop soup after 6 months. ( i was supposedly fed that and i am fine, not allergic to anything at all) should i feed my baby that then?

And so many of the commercial teething biscuits out there have such things as corn, starch, wheat, sugar in them. Are they safe then?

My question is this. Are oats, wheat, yogurt, fish safe for a baby of 6 months? or should i wait?

Thanx!!!

new_mommy25
07-10-2004, 05:19 AM
You can buy Earth's Best wheat free teething biscuits. DS prefers these over the one's that do have wheat.

I don't have much advice on feeding a sixth month old. DS didn't start solids until 8 months and progresed really quickly from there. I still don't give him fish because I am unsure of mercury levels.

sirensrise
07-10-2004, 06:03 AM
we went to a couple of allergist because my family history of allergy. we were told that whatever the parents are allergic too, it does not mean that the kids will be allergic to the same thing, only that they will be allergenic, and you will never know what. dh is allergic to all vegis and fruits, i have a few allergies myself. so far dd is allergic to bananas, and i suspect wheat and dairy.
oh well

Momof3Labs
07-10-2004, 08:52 AM
I wouldn't give yogurt or dairy to a 6 month old; their digestive systems aren't mature enough to handle the lactose at that age. I'd probably hold off on fish, too, personally. Oats should be fine (oatmeal is a popular first baby food).