PDA

View Full Version : Step II/next step/advance formula - what the deal?

babymama
07-07-2004, 04:28 PM
Accidentally bought a Step II formula can this week (buying generic at Target w/ coupon). What's the deal with the next step/advance/step II formulas? Can says its for babies 4 mo. and older. My ped has never mentioned switching formula once DS gets to a certain age.

So far it's agreed with him, but I wondered if anyone here knows about these. is it a gimmick?

Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03

farsk
07-08-2004, 12:06 AM
Hello!

From what I have researched and understood, this is a marketing technique by the infant formula industry to hold on to parents who formula-feed their babies a little longer. Because it is so expensive, I am told that parents are often very eager for the first birthday when baby can transition to whole milk. Because of this and because of higher breastfeeding rates, the infant formula industry is losing precious dollars. So it introduces a new "gimmick" to hook parents in longer, and into buying it's costly product.

Hope this helps!

JElaineB
07-08-2004, 12:22 AM
I used to buy Enfamil, and when I compared Enfamil to the Enfamil "Next Step" the only difference was the amount of calcium was higher in the "Next Step" version. You might want to check next time you are at the store to see if it is the same for your brand. I agree it is mostly a marketing gimmick. Regular infant formula is fine until at least a year and at that point most formula fed infants get switched over to whole milk unless your doctor recommends otherwise.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

Rikkele
07-08-2004, 02:44 PM
The follow up formulas are generally not recommended. This is info about these formulas from askdrsears.com:

1. Casein/whey ratio different from human milk. Basically, Carnation Good Start Follow-up is like the older version of Similac: 82 percent casein and 18 percent whey, plus calcium and a newer fat blend.
2. Sweetened with corn syrup. The rationale for replacing lactose in the milk with corn syrup is to get it to taste sweeter. In our opinion, using corn syrup as the prime milk-carbohydrate source in an infant under a year is nutritionally unwise. Besides insuring proper nutrition, one of the main goals in feeding an infant over six months is to shape young tastes toward the normal taste of fresh foods. Corn syrup is a sweetener and certainly shouldn't be part of a food babies eat several times each day. Our conclusion: we do not recommend follow-up formulas that contain corn syrup. They are nutritionally unwise and unnecessary. Better to give your baby a higher volume of standard formula (growing babies need more fluid anyway), plus calcium and iron-containing solid foods.

HTH! :)

babymama
07-08-2004, 04:45 PM
Thanks for your responses. Yikes, corn syrup! Noticed last night that DS was uncharacteristically gassy. I'm thinking it's the formula that's causing gassiness. Going to buy our regular, standard formula tonight. Thanks again!

Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03