PDA

View Full Version : All purpose nipple cream

chlobo
07-09-2004, 04:27 PM
So my LC recommended that I try this on my sore nipples. I have a prescription from when DD was first born and it says on it to discard after 3 months (which was Feb). Does this stuff really lose effectiveness or go bad after three months?

Has anyone had any experience with it? I'd hate to have to refill since it was a $30 co-pay.

pritchettzoo
07-09-2004, 04:33 PM
I would check with the pharmacy. It sounds like a compound, so it will depend on the ingredients--some interact with each other and can deteriorate over time. I had some doggie cream that actually turned a weird color after a time because of the chemical reaction.

You can always get plain lanolin from the pharmacist for cheap or purchase a tube of Lansinoh ($7-$8 at Target). If your nipples are still sore now or sore again after 7+ mos of nursing, there may be an issue there--has your baby changed his latch due to teething? Any signs of thrush?

Anna

jacksmomtobe
07-09-2004, 04:40 PM
I have the all purpose nipple ointment. My LC was very particular about me getting the ointment rather than the cream. My prescription indicates an expiration of 2006. This is prepared by the pharmacy so maybe one of the ingredients in the ointment doesn't have a long shelf life. Did you try calling the pharmacy to see if maybe the exp was incorrect or see what they have to say?

Good Luck,
Kim

chlobo
07-09-2004, 07:46 PM
Well the pharmacist wasn't very helpful. He was kind of wishy washy but said I could use it for a week, which seems rather random since its already 8 months old. I'm going to give it a try and see how it goes.