PDA

View Full Version : does anyone else have lightweight toddlers?

spu
07-10-2004, 03:44 PM
We're getting ready for our 2 year check-up, and from my scales at home, Else and Charlotte are barely 23 - 24 pounds --- and from reading the previous post some babies who are 1 year weigh close to that... Should I be concerned? Sometimes it amazes me how little they eat... I suppose that's typical for a toddler. They're tall though - at 19 mos, they were 32.25" and since they they've grown another inch.... they're definitely string bean kids...

How do you deal with having a 'skinny' toddler / baby? Do you try to 'fatten them up" with high-calorie or fattening foods at this age? I'm afraid to start a pattern of chips / icecream, etc... and I'm curious to see what my ped. says. Plus they're still nursing tons, which is probably why they're on the lighter side...

I'd love any thoughts/ suggestions or if you could share your feelings that would be great!
thanks!!

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte + else

http://sunger2.home.comcast.net/bash/nonflash/year.html

emmiem
07-10-2004, 03:48 PM
I have a skinny 3 1/2 year old who weights 27 pounds. She eats all the time. Her energy level is very high. It is just her metabolism. I don't do anything special-just offer good choices.
Michele

lizajane
07-10-2004, 04:58 PM
rachel posted a list a while back from her nutrionist that had great info on extra fat sources. (if you are concerned! i don't know that you should be!) schuyler is pretty skinny, but still high enough in percentiles that i don't add extra fat on purpose. and he doesn't get sugar or greasy fat kinda stuff. olive oil, avacado, cheese, etc.

ismommy
07-10-2004, 07:41 PM
AT 2 1/2 Bella was 22.2 pounds and 32 inches. She also barely eats it seems but our doctor tells me not to worry and she is just a small child but perfectly healthy. I figure that she will grow at her own rate and don't worry about fattening her up. Though I do wish she would eat more on occasion since it makes me nervous how little she eats some days. The again other days she eats tons so I try to look at a weeks worth of eating not a day. Also our ped reminds me its also genetics neither DH or I are big people so it stands to reason Bella is small.
HTH