PDA

View Full Version : BFing moms....are you drinking coffee?

Judegirl
07-12-2004, 01:22 AM
Well, I had big ideas about abstaining...but now I'm drinking my 1-2 cups a day and not seeing any behavioral change. Anyone else? Are you drinking more than that? ('Cause I want more!)

Are there caffeine-related health concerns for breastfed babies, or is it general concern about behavior?

TIA!

Jude

tarahsolazy
07-12-2004, 01:39 AM
I drank Coke (about 20oz per day, I know, the kid's basically made of it at this point) throughout my pregnancy and still do now. I am trying to cut back, but my solution is to switch to C2, LOL. I looked into it, and no studies have been done that show any harmful effects of caffeine in pregnancy, or during BF. Now, that being said, some babes seem sensitive to foods, ie chocolate, dairy, caffeine. My son doesn't seem to be sensitive to anything I eat, thankfully. I would probably limit it to a few cups a day, though, or DD might get wired!

ALLEYCAT
07-12-2004, 02:26 AM
I gulped frozen cokes by the gallon while prego. Now I'm on coffee with International Delight and it is sooo good. Two cups a day and then two cokes in the afternoon. I abstained for months and Wiley never slept, now at 9 months he still does not sleep well but I get my fix so I feel better. I guess it may be coming thru the breast milk but my ped said it was ok and I choose to agree with her on this.

sugarsnappea
07-12-2004, 09:13 AM
I drink 2 cups of dark roasted coffee every day. I did this while BF DD#1 too. I have heard that caffeine does pass thru breastmilk, but my children never seemed to be affected by it. :)

Jeanne
07-12-2004, 10:16 AM
Drank all through both pregnancies and BF. Neigher of my girls reacted to it.

eb1
07-12-2004, 10:48 AM
I drank only about 1/2 cup of coffee per day while PG, because I ate so much chocolate. Figured I needed to trim my caffeine somewhere.

Now while BFing, DS does seem to be affected by much caffeine, so I'm drinking decaf, mostly for the ritual of it. Somehow I've convinced myself this is a treat.

nitaghei
07-12-2004, 11:05 AM
I've had caffeine through pregnancy and BF'g (we're still BF'g at 18 months) as part of my migraine control regimen, on my neurologist's instructions.

Caffeine is considered safe for pregnant and lactating women. I have the cite somewhere, and I dig it out if you want. There are no health related concerns about moderate caffeine intake. But some babies are sensitive to caffeine. I found that DS slept worse than usual (and we have a LOT of sleep issues) if I had caffeine after about 1 pm or so. Lately though, it doesn't seem to make a difference (since he was about 14 months old). I can drink tea in the afternoon, and he still sleeps the same.

If your baby's not exhibiting any behavior changes, it should be fine to have another cup of coffee.

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

egoldber
07-12-2004, 11:51 AM
In BF moms, the issue with caffeine is 1) some babies get wired by it and 2) it is a diuretic, so it can make it harder to stay hydrated. If you don't have an issue with either of these, then go for it! I drank coffee when I was BF and it never bothered my DD at all. She was a great sleeper.

For pregnant women, there is no issue with moderate caffeine use. Consumption of moderate to large amounts of caffeine has been linked to a slightly increased risk of miscarriage in the first trimester.

So enjoy your cuppa java!

peasprout
07-12-2004, 12:50 PM
Yup, and through pregnancy too. I had a co-worker who was pregnant at the same time and she would drive me crazy! If she saw me eating chocolate her eyes would widen in shock that I was actually ingesting caffeine while pregnant. Of course I didn't tell her that I was also drinking coffee and coke,...she'd crap a house!

hez
07-12-2004, 01:32 PM
LOL!!!

I worked myself down to a Coke every other day when pregnant (sometimes less), and I'm at 1-2 per day while BF'ing. No coffee though-- I never got hooked that way. Doesn't seem to affect DS, and it keeps me sane throughout the day.

jbowman
07-12-2004, 01:40 PM
I don't drink coffee, but before I was PG I was ADDICTED to Diet Pepsi. I didn't drink any diet drinks or caffeine during pregnancy. Once Ellie was born I started drinking some diet drinks (Diet Sprite, etc), but I avoid caffeine. Hey I need one vice, right?

I figure it's better for me, too, so why drink caffeinated beverages? That said, I don't think you should be concerned.

kamal
07-12-2004, 02:19 PM
I drink 1 or 2cups of coffee a day, and haven't seen that DD is affected by it. And yes, I drank coffee/tea through the pregnancy too.

However, I try to not drink coffee within an hour before I have to pump. I like to minimize my pumping minutes at work and I feel caffeine somewhat impacts my pumping output.

squimp
07-12-2004, 03:05 PM
My recollection about the miscarriage studies is that large amounts of coffee were 8-10 cups, and that 2 was OK. Of course it depends on how strong the coffee is, but they didn't mention that on NPR!

I drank 2 cups a day all through PG and now BF at 9 months.

Vajrastorm
07-12-2004, 09:10 PM
I drink about 2 cups worth, and ofen throw a diet coke on top of it.
I also had moderate caffeine while pg.

I was caffeine free in Aine's early weeks, maybe the first 1-2 months, and watched her carefully as I started drinking my half-caf coffee, but I never noticed any changes. She's an intense kid who hates to sleep, but she was like that when I was caffeine-free.

I also did an elimination diet at almost 3 months, and never did see any food/drink issues.

egoldber
07-12-2004, 09:27 PM
FYI, there was a newer study that came out in the last year indicating that coffee consumption as low as 5-7 cups a day was also correlated with an increased risk. And the "cup" in these studies is usually smaller than a typical mug. :)

But all in all, mild to moderate coffee drinking in pregnancy is still considered safe.

HTH,

westchicagomom
07-13-2004, 03:47 AM
Seriously people need to mind their own business. I had a co-worker and supposed friend who threw a fit in the middle of a staff meeting when she found out I was drinking hot cocoa while pregnant. She really had no clue.

Regarding the OP - I don't drink coffee. While pg I limited myself to a coke every few days. While BF I have completely given up all caffeine except chocolate as DD had enough sleep problems. I have learned to love Sprite!