PDA

View Full Version : What kind of milk is your toddler drinking?

votre_ami03
07-12-2004, 07:35 PM
Nolan has self weaned in the last few weeks, we are down to nursing 1-2 times a night if at all. He will be one in less than 2 weeks & I am curious what other parents are doing or what your Ped's recommend.

So far, I have bought Soy & Organic whole milk to try. TIA!

redhookmom
07-12-2004, 08:02 PM
My dd mostly drings organic whole milk. We also drink soy and rice milk.

JElaineB
07-12-2004, 10:06 PM
I buy regular whole milk. I would like to buy organic, but I am 30 mintues from a grocery store and the organic milk is almost always dated too close (probably not enough people buy it so its a viscious cycle). I can't make it to the grocery store constantly, so I like to have a couple of gallons in the fridge and it doesn't work with the organic milk that is generally available to me. Also the one time I *did* buy organic milk the brand I bought didn't have added vitamin D. I want the added vitamin D so I won't be buying that brand again.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

mam615
07-13-2004, 12:24 AM
For me it's important to choose organic when buying products high in fat (e.g., whole milk, whole milk yogurt, butter, etc.), because toxins generally concentrate in fat.

sntm
07-13-2004, 09:53 AM
We haven't started anything but breastmilk yet. When I stop pumping and we run out of frozen EBM, we will start organic whole milk (probably after Christmas).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

jd11365
07-13-2004, 10:02 AM
Kayla can't tolerate whole milk...she gets a major sore hiney...and she also doesn't like it...so she rarely drinks it. However, I do try to sneak some in each day and give her Organic 2% (recommended by the ped because of her sore hiney w/ the whole milk...and it is much better for this reason...no soreness) mixed w/ some YoBaby Organic drinkable yogurt for flavor. She just won't do plain milk so I spike it with something healthy like the organic drinkable yogurt or fresh fruit to make a smoothie. I prefer Organic because my local store has it and since she doesn't drink a lot of it, it really isn't a cost factor.

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

momma_boo
07-13-2004, 11:06 AM
I started a very gradual weaning process when DD was 13 mos old and at 15 mos, she was completely weaned. We switched her over to whole milk and I've stuck to the organic. Although she does get regular milk at daycare (they go through gallons for all the kids), I buy the organic for home.

It seemed weird after being so vigilant about what meds I took b/c I was nursing, to just give her regular whole milk from cows that have been given hormones, antibiotics to increase their production and that were eating feed grown with pesticides.

ETA - Fortunately, it isn't a convenience factor since most of the grocery stores in my area usually carry at least 2 brands of organic milk.

lizajane
07-13-2004, 09:25 PM
i voted for soy milk, but it is actually organic soy milk. silk enhanced. it has added fat, vitamins, etc. we are very happy with it. he can tolerate whole milk. we had to give it to him once on the road when we didn't have any soy and it wasn't available to purchase. but soy is our choice. it is what the whole family drinks here. he gets plently of fat from cheese and yogurt (in the dairy category) as well as in other foods.

Momof3Labs
07-14-2004, 08:05 PM
Other. Colin is on lactose-free milk since he is lactose intolerant.

cara1
07-14-2004, 08:23 PM
Regular whole milk from 13 mos-24 mos. Now 2%. Wondering when to cut it more (like to 1% or skim).

pixelprincess
07-15-2004, 04:45 PM
whole milk. asked the ped if we should give him organic and he said that whole milk would work just as well.