PDA

View Full Version : Another breast milk question...re. weight loss.

Judegirl
07-13-2004, 11:33 PM
I'm losing weight kinda quickly. I'm eating enough, but I gained a lot while pregnant, so maybe that's why. While it's certainly nice, I remember hearing/reading that if a nursing woman loses more than a pound or so a week, somehow the process releases toxins which end up in breast milk.

Does anyone know anything about this? Any info or links? I'm really not looking for anything else to worry about!

Thanks,
Jude

hellosmiletoday
07-14-2004, 02:04 AM
I read about this too. Its the toxins that are released when the fat tissue stores are burned (i.e. fat-soluble toxins). But what I dont understand is that they tell people that are overweight not to gain more than 15 lb...so wouldnt they release the toxins stored in fat tissue stores as well...but maybe the risk of toxins is less than the risk of gaining too much?

Sorry I cant help more.

tarahsolazy
07-14-2004, 02:38 AM
This happened to me too, Jude. I gained 52 lb with my pregnancy, and had lost 37 of it by two weeks post partum, when I had mastitis. It did slow down now, and I still have about 8 to lose, and DS is four months. I gained a lot of water weight in the last few weeks from pre-eclampsia, so these last 8 are just doughy fat and breasts. I wouldn't worry about the fat soluable toxin business, as long as you are eating well, there's no way to control your weight loss, anyway!

hellosmiletoday
07-14-2004, 03:12 AM
I dont think I was clear in my previous post, but I also dont think its a major concern, especially since they tell some people to gain 25+ to prevent toxins, and others to gain <15lb. Wow congrats on loosing 37 lb.

jacksmomtobe
07-14-2004, 07:26 AM
The body is such a miraculous (sp?) thing in this whole process that as long as you are eatng well and enough calories I wouldn't worry about it. I gained 42lbs and lost most of it fairly fast. Those last 8 or so are hanging on though. I don't want to down play your concerns but I think as long as you are eating enough nature will take care of you in this case. Have you gotten any feedback from your Dr? Maybe a quick call can reassure you.

Good Luck,
Kim

LucyG
07-14-2004, 01:52 PM
I lost a lot of weight in my DD's first few months (all of my pregnancy weight plus 15 pounds, and I only gained 15 while pg!), and it was a result of postpartum thyroiditis. With this condition, the thyroid becomes either over or underactive following preganancy and birth. Mine became hyperactive, and my metabolism sped way up. I went to my regular doctor when my DD was three months old, since I was losing weight quickly, and felt shaky. I figured it was a result of bf and sleep deprivation, but wanted to be sure. The dr. did bloodwork which determined an overactive thyroid, and then sent me to an endocrinologist. Since I was otherwise healthy, she agreed to see me often and take a "wait and see" approach, which allowed me to avoid taking medications while bf. However, there are many bf safe thyroid meds for women who need to go that route. Anyway, after three months, my thyroid levels stabilized on their own, and I have not had a problem since. We are still nursing at 16 months. All of that is to say, if you are concerned, I think it's definitely worth getting checked out. Simple bloodwork can determine whether your thyroid is functioning properly. Thyroid malfunction can be serious, so those with it definitely need to seek treatment. I hope you are fine, but I did want to pass along my experience!

proggoddess
07-15-2004, 10:17 PM
I was almost back to pre-pregnancy weight in my 2nd week postpartum. I wasn't concerned about releasing toxins stored up. What I was concerned about was my body breaking down the tissues I need to make the milk DD needs. So I make sure I take my prenatal vitamins and extra calcium. I also drink a soy-based protein shake to make sure I'm not losing any muscle mass. With my busy schedule and working full time, it's easy to drink the shake at my desk instead of trying to prepare a snack. And I make sure to have a well-balanced dinner when I get home.