PDA

View Full Version : nasal stuffiness interrupting sleep

zuzusmom
07-14-2004, 10:17 AM
I posted on another thread because I am not sure where this question fits in? My little one has been suffering from nasal congestion since her first week of birth. Could it be caused from my breastmilk? It hasn't really been a problem since the past week. At night she is having such difficulty breathing that she wakes up from her very needed sleep. I spoke to my pediatrician about it since week 1 and they offered suggestions such as a nasal spray, humidifier, and elevation. I have done all this but it has not helped any. The only time she can sleep for long periods of time is when she is on her side or in the swing. At her most recent checkup I discussed the problem again with the doctor and they claim it is "normal". I can't see how considering my precious little one is not getting the comfortable sleep she deserves. Any suggestions or advice!

mudder17
07-14-2004, 03:23 PM
What about trying vaporizers with menthol drops? I have a friend who does aromatherapy and she says warm heat with the menthol drops is better than using cool humidifiers when one is stuffed up. She recommended a child-safe vaporizer with a little cup to put the menthol in. You could also try a bath before sleep with Johnson's soothing vapors.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya
born 22 February 2004

http://www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya

mickey
07-16-2004, 01:16 PM
My baby was just having a hard time sleeping because of a bad cold. She ended up sleeping in her carseat 2 nights in a row - but I know that can't be good long-term.

Other things that were suggested to me:

Humidifier
Warm bath right before bedtime
Warm wash cloth across chest and back with a drop of Eucalyptus oil

If you are not happy with your pediatrician's advice, maybe you should start looking for another one!

lampes
07-16-2004, 02:18 PM
My baby had this and I was also told it was not "uncommon." The advice that they gave me was

Humidifier
Sleeping in car seat (because that keeps her elevated)
Suctioning

They also said to suction before BF because it can cause Baby to throw up. While Baby hated suctioning (and still does), I think it provided a lot of relief for her. They recommend using the saline nose drops to break up the mucuous and then suctioning it out. We would suction each nostril about 6 times. It is amazing the crud that would come out.