PDA

View Full Version : (updated) Storing BM? What did you use to store your BM?

StaceyKim
07-15-2004, 10:19 PM
I have heard about bags that zip lock and then you just use those with the bottles without transferring anything?
Do you like the storage system? I am looking for an easy way to store milk.
What bottles and nipples do you use with this system? Does it matter which bottles you use?

TIA!

KrisM
07-17-2004, 08:15 PM
I use the Gerber ziplock storage bags with an Avent disposable bottle. It works well for us. In fact, I put the fresh milk in the bag even if we're going to use it that day. It warms much faster in the than in a botte, so we can get it ready very quickly.

I just heard the idea from someone else here to lay the bags flat in the freezer. That takes up much less space than storing them upright. I mark on the bag how many ounces are in it with a Sharpie.

Kris

StaceyKim
07-17-2004, 09:30 PM
Kris,
Thanks for the advice!

I think I am definitely going to get them! Why don't they sell them at BRU? I saw them online at Walgreens though.

Also, what are the avent disposable bottles? Do you throw them away after you use them?

P.S. What is a sharpie?

stillplayswithbarbies
07-17-2004, 11:22 PM
I used the Pumpmate system. I went through several things before I settled on this as the most efficient. You can pump into them, store in them, and then feed in them using disposable bottles. (I used Playtex with the silicone nipple). http://www.pumpmate.com

Just before I stopped pumping, Playtex came out with the OneStep system and I used that too. It was good, but more expensive than Pumpmate.

What I did not like about the Gerber bags and Lansinoh bags is that I had to pump into a bottle and pour into them. I spilled way too much that way. And they are hard to get into the bottle to feed from them. The Pumpmates just drop in.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

Zansu
07-17-2004, 11:27 PM
BRU does carry the storage bags. They are in the aisle with the breast pumps.

You need to use the measurements on the bottle you pump into to know how much milk is in the bag. The bags are very inaccurate. I mark how much milk, the date and DS's name, then pour the milk from the bottle to the bag.

A sharpie is a permanent marker that will write on almost anything. It's a brand name; I think they're made by Sanford.

Avent makes two types of disposable bottles. One uses the bags; you throw the bags away after you use them, but everything else is re-usable. The second type is called Via, I think. It has disposable bottles that can be re-used up to 20(?) times. The nipples and collars are re-usable.

KrisM
07-18-2004, 11:55 AM
Yup, what she said.

Also, not only is it tough to get an accurate reading with the bags, the milk will expand when frozen, making the ounce markings on the bags even less accurate.

Kris

dr mom
07-18-2004, 04:27 PM
Another vote for Gerber seal-n-go bags. If you are freezing milk, you want bags specifically designed for the purpose - avoid the bottle liners (Playtex is one company that makes these) which aren't as strong and may break open in the freezer and spill your precious "liquid gold."

-Cindy

quikeye
07-19-2004, 02:36 AM
I really enjoy the pumpmate system as well, and I used the playtex "natural touch" (something like that) nipples. I also use playtex disposable liners for when I'm not freezing (I use the pumpmate liners only to store in the freezer), and I re-use the pumpmate lids to "seal" the playtex liners when in the fridge.

Pumpmate had a really good deal when you buy one set of liners they'd give you the starter kit for free... Here's a link to the post I made about it a while ago, and I just tried the coupon code (fk8) and it's still taing off the price of the starter kit, even though babyzone doesn't have them as a sponsor anymore (as far as i can tell):

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=15737&mode=full

The kit stuff isn't necessary but is nice so you don't have to buy anything else (I did buy an extra adaptor for my PY, so I could use the double pump), and who can argue w/ free? :) I really like them. DS balked @ bottles when he was younger, but takes them w/ no fuss now (almost 6 months).

hez
07-19-2004, 08:43 AM
Agreed with Cindy. I had to pitch some milk that had been stored in the Playtex bags, and it broke my heart. Thank goodness I learned that lesson EARLY on.

I haven't checked Walmart yet (because I'm not shopping there on purpose), but otherwise the cheapest I've found on the Gerber bags is $5.99 at Target. I've seen them as high as $7.99 at CVS, and $6.99 at my local grocery store.