PDA

View Full Version : weaning and gaining weight

DeeEast
07-15-2004, 11:18 PM
Is it typical to gain weight when weaning, and if so, is there a damn thing I can do about it? I'm weaning DD and I feel like I am ballooning up every day. UGH!

DeeEast
07-16-2004, 11:06 PM
I'm bumping this up because I'm still in the same boat. We're down to one feeding a day (before bed) and she doesn't really care either way She's going to be a year in a couple of weeks so the timing is perfect. I'm just really getting concerned about the weight gain thing.

jd11365
07-16-2004, 11:29 PM
I started gaining too. I've gained 5 pounds since weaning... BFing burns calories, so it's like dropping a form of exercise I guess...

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

jbowman
07-16-2004, 11:38 PM
No advice, but I hate hearing this since I am operating under the (apparent) false illusion that I'll actually be able to lose some weight when DD weans! The pounds have clung to me since Ellie was born and DD is exclusively BF.

kijip
07-17-2004, 02:21 AM
I did not lose weight until after I stopped nursing, at which time it fell off without effort. Every person is different. I know some women who gain and some who lose.

DeeEast
07-17-2004, 11:33 AM
I lost all of my weight but the last ten pounds within the first 6 weeks after DD was born. Those last ten have stuck to me like glue. I've heard that is common so I wasn't too concerned. I figured I'd lose them when I weaned DD. But damn, its working out the opposite! Now that she's weaning, I'm actually gaining weight!

It is pissing me off because of all of the BS stories I read before about how great BFing is for losing weight. What a CROCK! I'm very glad I nursed and would definitely do it again but at least next time I will be prepared for the REAL weight story. Grrrrrr.