PDA

View Full Version : Last week BFing--what will happen?

alkagift
07-16-2004, 11:19 AM
I'm down to one feeding a day and we've been doing this for about a month. I plan on stopping this last feeding (the first thing in the morning) this weekend or next. Any thoughts on your or your baby's reactions to stopping? I've heard about the "hormone storm" that supposedly happens when you stop. Does that happen to everyone? I'm gaining weight (yuck) so I know I've got work to do there. Also, how did your baby react to no longer nursing?

Any thoughts or encouragement would be appreciated, I can't believe it will be over soon--I never thought I would go 14 months since it was so hard at first, but I know it's the right time for me!

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

slknight
07-16-2004, 11:25 AM
Allison, I don't have any answers, but wanted to let you know I'm in the exact same boat. We're down to just a before-bed feeding, and DS doesn't seem to be too interested in it. I was thinking of stopping on Sunday - for no reason other than DS will be exactly 15 months that day.

I am having totally mixed feelings about it. I never thought I'd even make it 3 months, and here we are at 15! And as much as I think I'm "ready," I'm feeling kind of sad about it too. I've also gained about 5 pounds lately, and was wondering if it had to do with weaning (like my body doesn't know what the heck is going on). Kind of stinks since I need to lose about 25.

COElizabeth
07-16-2004, 11:26 AM
Allison,

My hormones were already "storming" with early pregnancy when I weaned completely, so I can't help you there, but honestly I didn't notice any mood changes from that specifically. I do want to say, though, that I also was downt one feeding a day, but I found it too uncomfortable to drop it suddenly. For a week I nursed once every other day or even every 2 days, and that made it easier for me physically. I think one side would have been fine, but one breast kept getting uncomfortable if I went too long, and I didn't want to risk mastitis. After that week, I was able to stop completely with no problems. Best wishes, and congrats on a job very well done!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
EDD #2, 10-30-04

lizajane
07-16-2004, 11:59 AM
i stopped nursing once/day at 14 months. schuyler was still into it, but only got "mad" at me for not nursing him first thing in the am for 2 days. the first day, he was MAD. but the second day, he was more confused and then moved right on after i gave him the sippy of milk (like he had been getting the rest of the day.)

i didn't have a single problem, myself. (except for being sad!) but i was already 4 weeks pregnant when i stopped. i just didn't know it yet! (2 weeks post conception.)

jd11365
07-16-2004, 12:25 PM
Congratulations on 14 great months! The whole thing was worse for me than for DD. She stopped "asking" so I stopped offering. I had a huge hormonal thing, and I knew it was hormones because I had a night terror--the kind where you jump up out of bed. This happened several times only when I was pregnant, so I knew I was having a hormonal rush. I also gained weight (yuck too), about 5 pounds. Instead of nursing at night, we now cuddle for a few minutes. She gets her binky and blanky and I rock her in the glider. It offers us that special mommy-baby time nursing gave us...without the biting! :) Be sure to take a picture of you and Matthew BFing...it's something special I have to remember our amazing 13 month expeience. I sometimes go back and look at them and they always make me smile. And if you are taking Micronor, make sure you switch to a combo pill immediately...unless you are thinking about #2.

Feel free to email if you have other questions...

HTH!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

houseof3boys
07-16-2004, 12:41 PM
No advice here Allison, but I wish you and the big boy the best of luck dropping that last feeding. Ryan and I are down to the am feeding as well and he is just now getting over being mad at me for not nursing all day! I think tomorrow is the day that we will attempt to drop that one too. He hates milk and won't have anything to do with it so I'm hoping that will change over the next few weeks. Looks like a lot of drinkable yogurt is in his future for the morning feeding! Of course he won't drink my "homemade" concoction with fresh fruit and plain yogurt so it looks like the sugar laden YoBaby for us.

I am sure Matthew will be fine and congrats on 14 months girly! You did awesome and I'm really proud of you. :)