PDA

View Full Version : Breastfeeding AND Bottlefeeding at the SAME TIME!!!!

abbymom
07-16-2004, 03:45 PM
After my daughter is born I have to go back to work right away (5weeks) and it will be nearly impossible for me to pump very much if ever! Is it possible to incorporate breastfeeding in the am and pm and bottlefeeding during the day with such a short amount of time to get me and my daughter used to it. I know that you are supposed to give them and yourself a few weeks to get used to it AND then a few weeks to wean off of it. CAN I DO IT SOONER THAN THIS????? HELP!
Thank You!
ABBYMOM

stillplayswithbarbies
07-16-2004, 04:07 PM
It may be difficult but it is certainly worth a try. Any amount of breastmilk that you can give reduces the risks associated with formula.

If you'd like, you can tell us more about your situation and maybe we can help you figure out some ways to pump. Most states have laws that require your employer to give you time and a place to pump. Many of us pump in the morning before we leave for work, and that helps establish your milk supply as well as build up a stash of breastmilk.

There is a chance that your body won't get enough signals to make milk if you are not nursing or pumping throughout the day. But it may be okay, it's really hard to guess. During the first three to four months, your body makes milk due to the hormones from the birth, but after that it makes milk based on what it knows you need from the feeding patterns up to that time. So you might be okay for the first few months and then have trouble, or you might be okay all along.

Another thing to consider is that you will probably get engorged when you can't pump. That can be painful. So if it is at all possible to pump during the day that would be better.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

sntm
07-16-2004, 04:22 PM
I know people who have breastfed at home and given formula during the day, but usually after they tried pumping at work for a while first. If at all possible, I would at least try pumping first. Even if your work situation is awful and you can't pump as much as you need to, it would extend the time your DD was getting breastmilk only and would make it a more gradual tapering towards BFing only at home.

But definitely look into modifying your work options. Ask your employer what they would do if you were diabetic and needed time during the day to check your blood sugar and give insulin -- pumping is as much of a medical issue and should be treated as such. It's not always reality, but you can try!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

dramamama04
07-16-2004, 06:16 PM
I have a similar situation. I'm astudent and I'm due in September. I can only take off for 2-3 weeks before returning. I am very adamant about breastfeeding. I plan on getting a double breast pump and pmping between classes or during workstudy. I have a very understanding professor. Any suggestions?

stillplayswithbarbies
07-16-2004, 06:39 PM
pump in the morning before class, at lunch time, and after class. Figure out how to set up your pump for handsfree pumping and you can eat lunch while you pump :)

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

proggoddess
07-17-2004, 08:27 PM
I went back at week 5. We started DD on 1 bottle a day at week 4. She took to it pretty well. We have the Avent and Dr. Brown bottles.

At first, it was hard for me to keep up with her, as I wasn't getting much from the pumping. So we'd add some formula to her bottle. But now, I've caught up and can pump almost the amount she needs. So we supplement her with 2 oz. of formula every day. Not bad, I think.

I pump when I get up before DD does, and 3 times at work. When I first went to work, I didn't pump before she woke up, as she would already be up and hungry. But now at 3.5 months, she sleeps through the night.

HTH!

sntm
07-19-2004, 01:58 PM
Talk to professors and arrange a place to pump privately. I was given use of a conference room to pump, and when that was busy, one of my female professor's let me use her office.

Some women have gotten by with taking the baby with them to class (in a sling) while the baby naps or breastfeeds, but that would be tricky. Still, something to consider.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

zuzusmom
07-20-2004, 01:30 PM
I have been breastfeeding and bottle feeding with breastmilk (and formula for very short while but that is a long story)since DS was born and it has been going very smoothly. My DD has no problems at all switching. I have a friend who is doing the same with few problems.
Give it a shot. I know that some people have posted even combining breast milk and formula. You may want to read up on their methods of weaning. Good luck!