PDA

View Full Version : Best Bottles for Breastfeeding?

dramamama04
07-16-2004, 07:50 PM
I will be going back to school full time about 2-3 weeks after DS is born, so I will be pumpimg ALOT, especially for him to take to daycare. At first I was going to use the Playtex Nurser system, but the continuous cost of buying the liners is kind of daunting.

Which bottles seem to work the best?

Can I pump directly into the Playtex Liners using the PY, PIS or Nurture III, or do I have to pump into the storage bags, THEN transfer to the liners?

What about the Avent Storage bottle system?

Which pumps are handsfree?

Momof3Labs
07-16-2004, 08:45 PM
You need to pump into some sort of bottle so you can measure how much you put in each bottle. If you pump directly into liners you won't know because the liner markings are so inaccurate.

Many people recommend Avent for breastfed babies, but the true best bottle is the one that your baby will take and won't interfere with breastfeeding. Not what you wanted to hear, I know, but that's the honest truth.

And the WhisperWear pump is truly hands-free, though I think that it gets mixed reviews. The Purely Yours or PIS can be set-up and used hands-free, but it is more about your bra (holding the cones in place) than the pump itself.

sb1177
07-16-2004, 09:57 PM
Your baby will decide which bottle is best for him. I had to purchase 1 of each type until dd finally took Dr. Browns. This may not be the case with you but be prepared. I started giving her the bottle at 2 weeks and I still had a hard time getting her to take it. If I had to do it all over again, I would give 1 bottle a day from day 1. For storing ebm, I use the evenflow storage bottles and the similac ones given by the hospital. They work well with the Medela PIS. I also use the diaper bag given by the hospital for quick outings.

stillplayswithbarbies
07-16-2004, 11:41 PM
the storage bags can be used as the liner. You can pump directly into the bag, store in it, and then use it in the bottle to feed.

But the markings on the side of the bag are not accurate so you won't know how much is in it, if that matters to you.

I used the Pumpmate system with Playtex bottles. http://www.pumpmate.com

You want a bottle with a wide nipple so the baby can latch on like he does at the breast. The Playtex silicone nipples worked for us.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

essnce629
07-19-2004, 03:12 PM
Another vote for Dr. Brown's! My son is and was EBF'd but I went back to school when he was 3 weeks old until he was 4 months old and he drank my ebm at daycare. I loved the Dr. Brown's bottles. I know a lot of people recommend the Avent bottles but they leak with a lot of people and every time I feed the 9 month old baby I babysit with her Avent bottle it is filled with hundreds of bubbles! I never saw a single bubble in the Dr. Brown's bottles. I also had the Platex Premium nursers, which I like too, but I always used my Dr. Brown's unless they were all dirty which is the only time I reached for the Platex ones. Highly recommended.

***Latia
Conner 8/19/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aug2003angel

sntm
07-19-2004, 05:44 PM
We were happy with wide mouth Dr. Brown's (and have some for sale if you want them!) but I was really intrigued by the Playtex system Karen was talking about. I'd consider that, too. You may just want to get one each of a couple of kinds just in case, until you figure out which one your baby likes. Although I haven't heard of any babies rejecting Dr. Brown's (lucky for me, as I bought a lot before he was born.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03