PDA

View Full Version : What to feed a 9 month old?

kalebsmama
07-17-2004, 05:04 PM
Hi! I'm having a hard time remembering what all DS ate at 9 months, and I need to know quickly. We had a little girl placed with us 2 days ago (see adoption forum for story) and know almost nothing of her eating habits. I know what kind of formula she eats, and that she eats cereal, sweet potatoes, carrots, applesauce and bananas.

She only has her 2 lower teeth. How much texture would you think she can handle? Cheerios? Mashed bananas? Or stick with baby food? How much formula does your 9 month old take at a time and how often? I know it varies, but a refernce point would help!

I have things that I can read up on, but no time. We brought her home with only 4hrs notice and nothing prepared!

Any input on things to try, and info on table vs. baby food, mashed vs. ground vs. finely diced etc. will be greatly appreciated. My Mommy brain is on overload and I can't for the life of me remember what DS was eating at this stage!

Thanks!!

Momof3Labs
07-17-2004, 05:39 PM
Congrats, Jan!! Update that signature line!

Colin started Cheerios at 9 months, so she might do fine with those. Mashed banana, yogurt, shredded cheese - let her be the guide; she'll either be interested in texture or not at this stage.

scuba4hudson
07-17-2004, 07:12 PM
Congratualtions! I just started my daughter on solids and have been making my own. Its simple and easy. I got all my information from "The Super Baby Food" book. It is awsome! It tell you everything you need to know as to when to start what foods at what age. About how much they should eat, how to make it. Sarah is my first and I was clueless this really helped me a lot.

jubilee
07-17-2004, 07:13 PM
OK- I've tell you what my DS was eating around 9 months old. He was breastfed, so I don't have formula info. I also made most of my own food and DS was eating mostly diced/mashed table food.

This is for a 9 month old-

Grains- 6 servings a day
2 T. rice
1/4 cup oatmeal or infant cereal
1/4 slice bread
1/4 english muffin
3 small crackers
1/2 small pancake
1/2 small muffin or biscuit
4 animal crackers
1/4 cup cherrios (my DS ate these before he had teeth)

Meat- 2 servings a day
1 ounce lean meat or chicken
1 egg yolk hard boiled
1 Tbsp. tuna
1/4 cup beans

Dairy- 1-2 servings a day (plus formula)
4 oz yogurt (full fat version, like yo-baby)
1 slice cheese or little cubes of cheese
1/2 stick string cheese, diced
1/2 C. cottage cheese (full fat)

Veggie- 2-3 servings a day
1 broccoli spear, cooked and diced/mashed
2 T. peas, smashed
1/2 cup mashed potato or baked potato
1/4 cup sweet potato, mashed
1/4 carrot, cooked and mashed-lumpy
1/4 cup green beans, cooked and mashed-lumpy (mostly fork mashed)

Fruit- 2 servings a day
1/4 c. watermelon, diced
1/2 apricot, ripe and mashed
4 T. applesauce
5 grapes, quartered or eighted
1/4 c. fruit cocktail
1/2 banana, mashed lumpy
2 T. raisins, cut in half
1/2 apple or pear, cooked and mashed lumpy
1/3 peach, diced small

All this food was divided among 3 meals and a snack or two. I didn't stress out if I didn't get him to eat everything- but I always offered this much food a day, and he mostly ate everything. My son is gaining weight at a very healthy rate, and seems to be maintaining his percentiles well- so I think this was perfect for him.

You could always used canned/frozen fruits and veggies too. Best of luck to you and the new little love of your life!!

new_mommy25
07-17-2004, 07:55 PM
CONGRATULATIONS! How wonderful.

DS is 10 months. He still eats some jarred foods, but we have been trying to transition to more finger foods. He didn't start solids until 8 months so at 9 months he was at about the same speed as you little girl.

The first food DS was able to feed himself were Gerber Wagon wheels. he prefers the veggie over the fruit. They are big so he can grasp them and just get mushy as he gums them.

Cheerio's are good. I only give him a few at a time, otherwise they end up all over the ground. He also really like Veggie Booty, Teddy puffs (at the healthfood store), and Goldfish. Some people have recommended Annie's Cheddar Bunnies. I just bought a box but won't open it until the goldfish are gone. Gerber makes Sweet Potato puffs which a lot of people like but I haven't been able to find them anywhere. Believe or not, he also really likes Chicken in a biskit crackers too, though I rarely offer them as they are really high sodium.

I just bought the Sassy version of the Baby Safe Feeder at TRU (currently on sale). What a wonderful thing, can't imagine why I didn't buy it earlier. I put fruit in there, or even just ice and DS LOVES it.

Mashed banana's are good, that was one of DS first foods. Now I cut it up into small cubes and let him feed himself. He also likes diced grapes, cantalope, honeydew melon, peaches, plums etc. Watermelon is his favorite.

Toast strips, pancake strips, waffles, french toast are all sure hits. (bread dipped in egg yolk and fried. Egg white is off limits until a year).

Yogurt mixed with applesauce, earth's best fruit, wheat germ, brewer's yeast. Grated tillamook cheddar is a favorite. Now i give it to him in cubes.

I've started to give him stuff off my plate too. Yesterday I ate Korean and he had some of my BBQ pork shredded, rice, bean sprouts and some cold noodles.

HTH! Have fun!

rrosen
07-18-2004, 09:40 AM
First of all congratulations, Jan on your new addition!

You have got some great suggestions already.

I wanted to tell you that my 10 1/2 month old has no teeth and is eating table food with no problem whatsoever. Don't let the lack of teeth prevent you from trying things, those gums are strong!

We feed her pretty much what we are eating, just cut up really small.

Good luck! And enjoy her!

Marisa6826
07-18-2004, 09:54 AM
Congrats!

My Ped at the time recommended skipping the jarred baby food and going right to somewhat smashed "people food". His concern was avoiding texture issues later on.

Sophie's big faves (just like this little girl!) were Cheerios (you can soak them in a little milk if she has a hard time at first), sweet potatoes, carrots, apple sauce (you can nuke an apple and smoosh it with a fork), mashed potatoes from Boston Market ;) and bananas, and little shreds of cheese (think pizza cheese). And don't forget the ever-fave Yobaby :P.

You might want to keep a couple of those tiny jars of baby food on hand just in case that's all she's used to. We used to get the Earth's Best First Foods ones. I think they're about 4oz. and should be about $0.50 or so.

Another trick was making a pot of chicken soup (I know, it's July). Sophie looooved the stewed chicken bits and the soft veggies. Her fave was the pasta though!!! You can always freeze it for the fall afterward :).

I don't know if you have a Shoprite nearby but mine just started carrying this frozen food line of organic pureed food called Mother Hen. I'm definitely going to try it next time around.

Congrats again. What a wonderful surprise!

-m

mommab
07-21-2004, 03:51 AM
Where did your awesome list come from?? Your child's baby book, your memory, or a nutrition book?? I'm looking for a good guide. TIA

jubilee
07-21-2004, 04:41 AM
I got some info from "Dr. Paula's good nutrition guide for babies, toddlers, and preschoolers" by Paula Elbirt-Bender. She writes mostly about toddlers, so I adapted her recommendations for my baby at each age. I got the book from my library, so it's been a while since I've seen it.