PDA

View Full Version : question for recent pump weaners

ohiomom
07-19-2004, 11:54 PM
My goal is to stop pumping at work during the day by Friday next week.
Do I cut to one pumping a day this week and try not to nurse much during the day over the weekend and then cut minutes next week? Not as sure about how to proceed as I thought. I was unable to pump all day today so went 12 hrs and thought my right breast would EXPLODE! Cold turkey is obviously not the key -- and not what I planned either, today was a fluke!
TIA!
Nicole's Mom 7/03

stillplayswithbarbies
07-20-2004, 10:10 AM
I had cut down to one pumping a day about 2 months before I stopped pumping. We started giving her cow's milk at daycare to replace the missed breastmilk, plus whatever breastmilk I pumped in my one pumping a day. That also gave her a gradual transition to cow's milk. (we started the cow's milk at 14 months since it didn't agree with her at 12 months)

When I stopped, I just stopped cold-turkey with no problem. In your case, I would go down to one pumping a day for at least a week and see how you feel. I left the pump at work for a week in case I needed to pump for comfort, but I never did.

I cut down to one pumping when she was 12 months, and stopped when she was 14 months. I had enough in the freezer to continue to give her breastmilk at daycare for another month. (she's still nursing morning, after work, and at bedtime)

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

momma_boo
07-20-2004, 10:55 AM
Definitely cut down to one pumping per day first. I waited about 2 weeks after that to cut out the pumping at work altogether. I think doing it gradually is the key to minimizing the discomfort for yourself.

ohiomom
07-20-2004, 02:57 PM
Karen,
How did you handle weekend nursing?

Nicole's Mom 7/03

sntm
07-20-2004, 03:12 PM
Most people recommend to allow unlimited weekend nursing to keep your supply up for evening/nighttime nursing. So you will always be a little fuller on Monday but by Friday will be needing a boost.

I'm down to a once-a-day on MWF and twice-a-day on TTh. On Monday I can get 10 oz with one pumping but on Friday it's more like 5. But I'm never uncomfortable on MOndays, just a little bustier. :+
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

stillplayswithbarbies
07-20-2004, 05:08 PM
I keep the same schedule on the weekend, although if she wants to nurse I don't deny her. I don't think she gets much milk other than at the times my breasts are used to making milk.

It's kind of strange to give her cow's milk when my breasts are right there. :)

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

ohiomom
07-21-2004, 11:14 AM
I know exactly what you mean. I hate giving her formula when I'm right there, but she makes it easier for me since she is just so much less interested in nursing these days. It's weird, but I suspect I'll be more comfortable giving her cow's milk than the formula. Maybe because it doesn't smell so bad and I don't need to mix it. My ped asked me to wait until her check up to start cows milk so I've waited.

Thanks for your comments -- (everyone! not just Karen! :))
Nicole's Mom 7/03

wagner36
07-21-2004, 02:46 PM
I went down to one pump a day for about 3-4 weeks before I cut out pumping altogether. I kept nursing on the weekends as usual, and I didn't really notice any increase in my supply on Mondays after nursing all weekend, versus Fridays. I would definitely cut to one day as soon as possible - I think that it took my body a lot longer to adjust from two pumps to one pump, instead of of one pump to no pumps. Moving from one to zero was pretty easy, actually.

Good luck!