PDA

View Full Version : SAHMs - When do you pump?

trumansmom
07-20-2004, 12:26 PM
I recently quit my job (woo hoo!), and have found that with just a couple of baby sitter visits in the evenings, my frozen stash is almost completely gone! I need to build it back up, but now that I'm home, I don't know when I should be pumping. Any hints, suggestions?

Thanks!
Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and Eleanor 4/14/04

divabell
07-20-2004, 01:06 PM
I haven't pumped much but when I do, I've found the morning to be the best time. I try to fit it in either 1) before DS wakes up (not usually possible these days), 2) after he wakes up but before he eats, if he woke to eat during the night, or 3) after his first feeding. If I pump before DS eats, I pump on one side, then feed him on the other side, and go back to the first side with him later. That has worked quite well. #3 is the last resort because I never get as much.

Good luck!

nwaddellr
07-20-2004, 06:00 PM
When I was building a freezer stash, I usually had the best luck pumping while DS napped - and I had better luck getting more later in the day, compared to mornings.

lizajane
07-20-2004, 06:20 PM
i pumped about 1/2 hour after the first nap started. he would sleep for 2-4 hours, and then i would feed him as soon as he woke up. but if she takes a shorter nap, maybe right when she goes down for that am nap.

jbowman
07-20-2004, 09:44 PM
I work outside of the home, but am home this summer. In order to build my stash for the fall (when school starts), I pump at night (around 11 pm). I might suggest pumping in the morning, since I am sure that you'll get a lot more that way. The evening works for me now that DD is (finally!) sleeping through the night.

mum1day
07-20-2004, 09:47 PM
I feel like the worst mother. I quit pumping when we decided I would be a SAHM. I had to pump and dump a few weeks ago and I swear pumping makes me produce so much milk that my DD can't keep up with me. I need to build a stash too-I just wish I could get her to take the bottle!

Natasha

miki
07-20-2004, 11:14 PM
I got more milk in the AM but when DD was young and I was starting my stash, she never napped reliably enough for me to do it consistently. I had better luck doing a daily pumping session about 2 hours after she went to bed at night.

annex
07-21-2004, 01:08 AM
I found it worked best in the mornings after DD woke up and before I had fed her. I would pump on one-side while and let DD feed on the other, and then switch over. I found it more efficient because I had trouble getting let-downs if I only used the pump. On mornings when DD had been feeding a lot during the night, I usually wouldn't bother trying to pump since it seemed my output was lower then and I didn't want to have to mess with cleaning the pump parts for just a couple ounces of milk.

Anne

Judegirl
07-21-2004, 03:13 AM
I'm about to go back to work, but have been pumping since dd was born. It's easiest for me to pump as soon as she goes down for a nap or to bed, but I get the most milk after I've gone the longest without pumping or nursing - usually when I wake up after my longest sleep stretch. (For most people, that's the morning. :))