PDA

View Full Version : I think we weaned and I am sooooo sad

barbarhow
07-22-2004, 09:49 AM
We had only bee bfing at bedtime and once in a blue moon in the morning. Some nights he wouldn't even nurse if he was really tired. Then on Sunday night I got some sort of stomach virus and had the worst gastritis I have ever had. I was pretty much doubled over in pain. I took some pepcid which bfing moms are not supposed to take. I had been up for 2 nights in a row with the pain and antacids just weren't touching it. So now here we are 3 days later and we haven't nursed again. When I said something to my DH this morning he said nonchalantly "Oh well. I guess it was time." Duh. That doesn't mean it isn't hard. I am so sad. We were planning on doing it anyway. We are hope to conceive #2 soon and I have to go away for 3 nights the beginning of August so maybe it is the best thing. I doesn't feel like it right now though. Maybe because DS doesn't seem to have even noticed???? Thanks for listening.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

Katia
07-22-2004, 01:57 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry you're feeling blue...I can imagine how that caught you off guard. I know I'll be sad when that day comes for us, too...breastfeeding can be such a wonderful part of the mother-baby relationship.

I hope this isn't inappropriate to say this, but I also think, WOW! She nursed her baby for 16 months -- that's awesome. I feel really inspired by women like you! I rarely post on this forum, but I read often and it really has been a huge help to me on this sometimes rocky road. (We're at 10 months now and still going strong!) Thank you for sharing your experience!

sntm
07-22-2004, 02:36 PM
I completely understand... I can remember a woman at a LLL meeting talking about the same "accidental" weaning with her 2 year old and how the little girl was totally nonchalant about it and the mom was torn up. As if the process wasn't bittersweet enough, you also have the hormone readjustment!

In the long run, the fact that it was so easy on Jack is probably a good thing. But it absolutely will not make it any easier to deal with now!

Be proud of what a fabulous job you did, go out and buy yourself some lacy new bras that don't have snaps on them along with a new dress that fastens in the back that would be impossible to nurse in and once your tummy is settled, have a giant cocktail and toast the next phase of mommyhood!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

tarahsolazy
07-22-2004, 02:55 PM
Ditto what Shannon said. Good for you, you outlasted all that wean at 6mo crappy advice, to give Jack the best there is for 16 months. I'm sure he's a very secure little guy because of it. Good luck with TTC #2.

McQ
07-22-2004, 03:23 PM
You should be proud that you made it 16 months. But I know what you're saying about being down that Jack didn't seem to notice. Declan was the same way - he never cared if it was boob or bottle. Part of that was good, but still sad that he didn't know how good he had it :)

Good luck with getting on the road to TTC #2.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

slknight
07-22-2004, 05:58 PM
Aw, Barbara. Hugs to you. I'm in the same boat. I think we weaned this week too. We were also down to once a day, and we just kind of stopped on Monday night. He honestly doesn't seem to have noticed either. I had wanted to wean because I am also going away for a week (without DH and DS) at the beginning of August. But now I'm feeling kind of sad about it.

I think that because bf'ing was so much a part of my relationship with DS for the last 15 months, that it's difficult to let go of if, kwim? I guess I feel like he doesn't need me anymore like he used to. Kind of silly, I suppose.

Anyway, I really do feel like we're living parallel lives some time. We've got to get together sometime soon. I hope you're feeling better.

MartiesMom2B
07-22-2004, 07:28 PM
((Hugs Barbara))

I completely sympathize with you. About two weeks ago Martie decided not to nurse. I tried to latch her on but she just wouldn't have it. We haven't nursed since. When I told DH about it, his reaction was like your husband. That night as I expressed some milk into the sink, I cried and cried. Yes we were in the process of weaning, but it wasn't supposed to happen over night.

Good luck with TTC.

Sonia http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/character/1/character03.gif
Proud Mommy to Martie

barbarhow
07-22-2004, 09:51 PM
Now I am teary all over again. You guys-collectively-are the reason that I was able to nurse for 16 months. I was ready to quit very early on with myhorrible case of thrush and multiple plugged ducts. You mommies are so incredibly supportive and inspiring. I actually logged on earlier in the day and felt like a misfit teen because no one had responded. All I could think was "Okay. so you weaned. You feel horrible and no one cares." Thank you all. The support is so wonderful. I've actually been wearing my old bras and loving it. They are so much more comfy! But-LOL-I am still wearing my nursing jog bras from target when I exercise. They give more support than any jog bra I have ever worn.Martie-I think that's what was so hard-I wasn't really prepared for it. I mean I had thought about it and was planning it but...I think that might be better in the long run.
Susan-I will email you. We are still kind of settling in at the house but maybe one day in September-sounds so far away but it isn't-I'll have you and Katie up to the "country".

Rachels
07-22-2004, 10:11 PM
Just wanted to congratulate you on a job well done, mama.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/character/2/character39.gif

"We have a secret in our culture...it's not that birth is painful, it's that women are strong!!" - Laura Stavoe Harm

jd11365
07-24-2004, 05:35 PM
I can soooo feel your pain. I had a rough time with weaning, and DH didn't "get it" either. It does get better...I promise. Jack will want to cuddle instead of nurse or do something new that is special between just the two of you. Big hugs and a huge congratulations on a job well done!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

MartiesMom2B
07-26-2004, 12:15 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one still wearing nursing bras when I exercise!

Sonia http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/character/1/character03.gif
Proud Mommy to Martie

barbarhow
07-26-2004, 02:33 PM
Thank you! It means alot to me-coming from the guru of nursing...You and the other ebf'ers have been so inspirational to me. If someone had told me a few years ago that I would nurse a child to 16 months-I would have laughed and said "No way! People who do that are just doing it for themselves." My NYC friends now tease me and call me "Earth Mother" and laugh. I laugh, too as I swipe my freshly shaven legs and realize yeah. Its a great thing.
The moms here educated me in so many ways. Thank you!

barbarhow
07-26-2004, 02:35 PM
Jamie-Thanks-I hope he gets to the wanting to cuddle soon because I felt so mean this morning when he went to lift up my shirt. It was very easy to distract him but I sooooo wanted to give in. I am still so sad.