PDA

View Full Version : Good finger foods for long flight?

ericajosh
07-22-2004, 03:22 PM
What foods should I bring for a 6hr. flight with DS?

He eats 3 whole meals at home plus snacks. I will bring fruit cups, cherrios, etc. for snacks, but what to bring for the big meals?...the snacks don't fill him for long.

Usually he eats grilled cheese, applebutter/cream cheese sandwhich, veggies, etc. I'm nervous those won't stay fresh for the whole flight. Any good suggestions? (BTW-DS hates Gerber pickups or toddler meals and refuses to be fed with jarred foods). Not sure what to do!

Thanks in advance. :)
Erica

JacksMommy
07-22-2004, 03:45 PM
I think a sandwich would work well and stay reasonably fresh. If you're worried you could always bring a softpack with one of those ice packs to keep things cold. Not sure how old your DS is but other things that work well are cut-up veggies (I cook carrots in advance so they are soft enough), yogurt and apple sauce (although these may seem like baby food to him), crackers, and there's always whatever they serve on the airplane!

Good luck!
Laurel
Working Mama to Jack, 6/4/02
EDD #2 12/25/02

mharling
07-22-2004, 04:14 PM
Since he likes sandwiches, you could try soybean butter. They wouldn't need to be kept cold, so that should keep it easy.

Mary
Lane 4/03
#2 on the way!!!
http://lilypie.com/days/050302/0/0/1/-6/.png

amp
07-22-2004, 04:32 PM
I am in the process of thinking on this for you. Good question. Right now, all I can come up with is a combination of snack-ish foods that might add up to a meal. If it were me, I'd take along fruit cups or containers of cut up grapes, berries, etc that my son loves! Maybe a banana. Easy to transport and a bit messy to break up, but we do it every morning anyway. Just bring napkins. I'd maybe bring some of his favorite crackers, a slice or two of bread, a fruit & cereal bar or yogurt bar or muffin bar (these are all with the fruit and cereal bars at the groc store). If you bring a cooler (even a lunchbox sized one), I think you could do any of the following: a sandwich, yogurt, bagel with cream cheese or jelly, tortilla w/ jelly, shredded or cut up or string cheese). That's all I can think of for now. Also, if it turns out that you are just using a bunch of snacks, I'd plan to feed him a meal right before boarding and plan to eat right afterward too. That might make him more able to make it through the flight without real meal food.

ericajosh
07-23-2004, 08:35 PM
We're off tomorrow. I've got tons of snacks (cereal bars, banana, veggies) plus I think I will bring the cooler for cheese and a sandwich). Hopefully the 6 hr. flight will go smoothly!!! Thanks for the ideas.