PDA

View Full Version : Best forks and spoons for toddler learning to feed himself?

deborah_r
07-22-2004, 11:31 PM
I just bought Gerber Safety Fork and Spoon Set, but it looks like a bit of a step back for him. He can kind of use an adult fork (well, at least he doesn't stab himself with it) but he needs something more his size. But the "safety fork" has rounded prongs which seems silly to me. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a specific brand and style of fork particularly, but also spoons (although we do already have the spoons we've been using to feed him, which are Munchkin with metal handles and plastic coated spoon)

TIA!

hellosmiletoday
07-22-2004, 11:43 PM
I'm interested to see the replies. I found on ebay some mini spoons that match the pattern of my silverware -- they are called 5 o clock spoons to be used for coffee. They are sooo cute but pricey, but I was wondering if they could be used for a toddler -- it would help me justify the purchase!

LittleMonkeyMom
07-23-2004, 12:39 AM
To be honest, I haven't really worried about forks yet, so unfortunately I can't help much there. However, I really like the Sassy spoons with the bumpy curved handles and the holes in the spoon. They look strange, but food really does stick to them well.

SAHM to Charlie Beth (3/29/2003) and three wild and wacky dogs.

lisams
07-23-2004, 02:17 AM
Dd has a 6 piece set that is fabulous http://www.buychoice.com/prodList.cfm/16921,M,Oneida%20Baby%20Paul%20Revere%20Stainless, 1,1,F,MX0. The forks are basically mini adult forks. Since she wants stuff just like mom and dad, this was perfect. A little pricey, but I can see her using them for a few years, and then down to the next child and hopefully to the grandchildren (we got DH's set from his childhood - the exact same set!)

HTH!
Lisa

Rachels
07-23-2004, 08:03 AM
We got cocktail forks (not too sharp) and demitasse spoons, and her utensil use picked right up. The baby forks are too dull to actually spear anything, and adult forks are just too big. This works perfectly.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/character/2/character39.gif

"We have a secret in our culture...it's not that birth is painful, it's that women are strong!!" - Laura Stavoe Harm

sntm
07-23-2004, 11:19 AM
Someone posted recently a link to crate and barrel that had some for sale. Cute, too. We have the plastic take and toss, which work okay but difficult to stab foods with. Though he is going through a phase where he wants us to feed him. ? DH thinks 'cuz it's faster!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

stillplayswithbarbies
07-23-2004, 11:27 AM
This is the spoon that she can use the best:

http://www.buybuybaby.com/images/products/family/1500076201.jpg

You can't see from the pic, but it has a loop handle that makes it easier for her to hold and aim. It's hard for little ones to learn to bend their wrist, and with this spoon they don't have to because they can hold it at the back of the loop handle.

For a fork, we just use the dessert fork from our silverware.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

ohiomom
07-23-2004, 11:12 PM
My mom bought me this exact set well before she even knew we were TTC. It matches our regular flatware. DD uses it very well, but is in the throw/drop everything to the floor stage... I've mostly been using plastic take-out/picnic type forks w/DD and she does great with them.

Nicole's Mom 7/03 can't believe it's almost a year!