PDA

View Full Version : I nursed in public today!

smallestangel
07-23-2004, 04:52 PM
It's silly I know but I'm really proud of myself and J.D. and I just had to share.

Up until now I have never NIP. Not for any other reason than when we nurse, it still has to be in the same position, in bed with two pillows and a boppy. I love breastfeeding but I still don't have the greatest dexterity with it.

I try to tank up Jacob before we leave the house and then we're usually good for about two hours give or take. But this morning's doctor's appointment went differently. Almost as soon as we got there, he started giving me the cues that he wanted a snack (I always make sure we're the first appointment of the day so we never wait very long and we've always been able to get there and back w/o him getting hungry).

It wasn't pretty (our position) but we got the job done. Our ped shares her office with a family practice and so there were a few older women in the waiting room. One of them glanced over and gave me a *look*, not dirty really, but not nice either. It was a sort of "Oh my!" kind of look, but it didn't bother me.

My husband was with me and said with a laugh that it was about time I tried it. He's been trying to get me to NIP forever now so that we don't have to watch the clock when we're out with the baby.

Sorry for such a long post but I'm just excited and happy. Thanks for letting me share! :)

Amanda & Jacob (born 3/11/04), who are now itching to go and spend the whole day out somewhere, anywhere! :)

Katia
07-23-2004, 05:18 PM
Way to go, mama!!! It'll get easier and easier, and you'll love having more flexibility when you're out of the house. I hope you'll enjoy a day out on the town soon!

stillplayswithbarbies
07-23-2004, 05:19 PM
Wonderful!! It's an incredible feeling, isn't it, to know you can feed your baby anywhere now. :)

And kudos to your husband for being supportive!

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

murpheyblue
07-23-2004, 05:24 PM
You go girl!!

lisaE
07-23-2004, 06:50 PM
Good for you! It feels like you can take on the world now, doesn't it?!

kaitlinsmommy
07-23-2004, 07:27 PM
WTG Amanda! I've never had a problem NIP; I just think if it's okay to give baby a bottle when we're out; why not bf? However, as an extended nurser, I never nurse in public anymore. I KNOW I'd get some strange looks now - LOL.

tarahsolazy
07-23-2004, 07:35 PM
Good for you, Amanda, isn't it just a liberating feeling? It will just keep getting easier and easier! No bottles, no fuss, just you and Jacob, anywhere you need or want to be. And Kim, I think its a shame that our society is such that you and Kaitlin NIP would raise eyebrows. Unfortunately, I agree with you, it would. I hope to be fortunate enough to be nursing DS when he's a toddler, you EBFers are an inspiration.

Rachels
07-24-2004, 08:40 AM
Good job, mama!!! It only gets easier from here.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/character/2/character39.gif

"We have a secret in our culture...it's not that birth is painful, it's that women are strong!!" - Laura Stavoe Harm

jbowman
07-24-2004, 12:48 PM
Congratulations Amanda! And it's not silly at all! It's great!

crunchymomma
07-24-2004, 03:07 PM
Good for you!

I felt a little awkward the first few times I NIP, but after a while I got the hang of it, and now we NIP like pros! I don't even need a blanket to cover up anymore. So much easier than lugging around bottles and searching for ways to warm the bottles!

lizajane
07-24-2004, 05:00 PM
hooray for you! and for jacob, too, of course!!

i hope you will feel more comfortable trying out NIP in other places. once i started, i realized it was so easy and so not a big deal. and no one ever said anything to me! edited because i take back that last statement- at a meeting at my church once, someone looked right at me and said, "good for you!!" :)

hez
07-24-2004, 05:08 PM
Congratulations on your liberation :) I remember feeling just like you the first time out!

trumansmom
07-24-2004, 07:29 PM
Isn't it empowering? I'm on baby #2 and I'm all excited that I'm FINALLY comfortable NIP without draping. Slow learner, huh?

Congratulations!
Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and Eleanor 4/14/04

sntm
07-24-2004, 10:13 PM
Amanda, that's fabulous! It is a wonderful feeling, and you will get to the point where you will looking to add to your "list" of places you've nursed!

And I still nurse Jack in public -- trying to change the world a couple of strangers at a time!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

smallestangel
07-26-2004, 01:17 PM
Thanks so much everyone.

I'm so glad that we're getting out of our rut. Since Jacob still won't take a bottle and we've just begun trying out the sippy, it's been hard on us all. I was begining to feel trapped in my house and always stuck in bed.

Karen,

Thanks. My husband has been my staunchest supporter. I had a rough start nursing and he really helped me through it.

We're almost at my six month goal. My next goal is one year but I ultimately want to breastfeed as long as Jacob wants. I too hope to still be nursing him as a toddler!

Amanda & Jacob :)