PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever use a SNS?

audreyrub
07-24-2004, 10:06 AM
I had a breast reduction and I'm hoping to be able to BF a little. My Doula is having me try a SNS. What were your experiences with this?

JElaineB
07-24-2004, 10:19 AM
I have absolutely no experience with this, so take this with a grain of salt. I have "heard" the Lact-Aid is better than the SNS, that the SNS is much more cumbersome. If I have another baby I will probably get a Lact-Aid rather than an SNS as I had supply issues the first time around.

http://www.lact-aid.com

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

Momof3Labs
07-24-2004, 05:09 PM
I used one for a few days. It is definitely a two person job - one to hold the SNS, and one (you) to hold the baby and support the breast. It is awkward because you have to make sure baby takes the little tube along with your nipple, but is worth it if it does the trick for you!

Raidra
07-25-2004, 01:54 PM
We used a SNS for two weeks while I was trying to get my milk supply up in the beginning, and it had a big role in my decision to switch to formula.

First, we had to buy different bottles, because the Avent ones didn't fit. Then there was the hassle of trying to get the tube into the EXACT right place so that the baby wasn't gagging on it, but it was still in far enough that he was sucking on it. Then you have to prime it by squeezing a little bulb, which didn't work half the time.

Then when we were done, I had to wash it out immediately because we only had one, and I'd need it in another hour and a half. It cost $15 and if I was going to continue using it for more than the two weeks, I would've had to buy another because it was getting so grubby.

To me, it was such a pain to deal with in addition to trying to get Colwyn latched on properly. In hindsight, I would've gotten a LactAid since I've heard those are better. I also would've looked more into supplements to increase my supply, but the LCs at the hospital discouraged them so I didn't put in the effort to research.. I think I was just a smidge overwhelmed. ;)

babymama
07-25-2004, 03:51 PM
I'd say cumbersome is putting it mildly. We tried an SNS for several days and it was a major PITA. There are about 50 different things that all have to happen at the exact same time with a SNS. If anyone were ever to recommend the SNS to me again, I would definitely look for an alternative. Hope you have a better experience!

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03
http://lilypie.com/baby1/041116/0/6/1/-6/.png

Imperia
07-25-2004, 05:31 PM
I don't know about the Lact-Aid people are reccomending but I did use a Medela SNS at the hospital because my DD had severe jaundice due to ABO Incompibilty. I only used it until my milk came in (a few days) and it was tricky without another person to help you. If you have someone to help you (my DH helped) have them position the tube and you latch the baby on. I am seriously glad I didn't have to use it for a long time, but I would do it again because I didn't want her to have any bottles.

And as a side note: WTG on breastfeeding even though youhad a reduction, that is SUPER!

Imperia

Rikkele
07-26-2004, 01:17 AM
I used a Medela SNS for about 2 wks in the beginning due to very low milk production. I never really had any problems getting it on or getting tubes positioned correctly. After about 2 days I could do it in under 30 secs. Just used the tape that came with it. I did it all myself without any help (not necessarily a good thing) but just had to have someone hand me DD when I was set up. She never had any problems latching with the tubes in place and overall it worked very well. At least from a mechanical stand point. Did not help me establish breastfeeding as I was told I have a minimal amount of glandular tissue and could only produce a tiny amount of milk but I'm sure you will not have that problem.
The biggest pain was making the formula to put into it and then washing it after each use. But with practice I even got super fast at that. I sterilized it once a day.
Mine cost $45 and is still in great shape after 2 wks of ATC use. Will probably end up using it agan with next baby.
Overall it is a pain but not impossible and if it helps you establish breastfeeding then definitely worth it.