PDA

View Full Version : Made My Own Baby Food!

AvasMama
07-25-2004, 09:16 PM
I know lots of moms here probably do this, but I am just so proud of myself! I made Ava a batch of peas and a batch of sweet potatoes last night and it could not have been easier. It took me all of 30 minutes to make a couple of weeks worth of food. And best of all, Ava loved it!

So if anyone is thinking about doing this, go for it! I can't even cook and it was easy :)

Robyn & Ava

mommy_someday
07-25-2004, 11:42 PM
Robyn,

Did you use a book or anything that told you how? Did you freeze any of it, and if so, how much? I'm interested in doing this, but wasn't sure since I'm not much of a cook - your post gave me hope! Makes sense if it's cheaper and EASY!

TIA!

AvasMama
07-26-2004, 10:34 AM
I didn't use a book. I did find a website that had some recipes and basic guidance -- www.wholesomebabyfood.com

For the peas, I bought a bag of frozen sweet peas, cooked them in the microwave according to the directions, and then pureed them in the blender with a little water to make them smooth. I spooned the puree into ice cube trays and froze it overnight, then popped the cubes into freezer bags. Half a bag of peas made a full tray of cubes.

For the sweet potatoes, I washed them and wrapped them in tin foil, then baked at 400 for about 45 min. Then I scraped out the potato and blended it with water to make it smooth. Two large-ish sweet potatoes made two trays of cubes. You can use the same method with regular potatoes and acorn or butternut squash.

It really was amazingly quick and easy! And the homemade version tastes MUCH better than the jarred food, even the organic brands.

Robyn & Ava