PDA

View Full Version : Use of Medela Purely Yours and General Pumping Qs

Jenn221
09-30-2004, 09:09 AM
I would appreciate any help I can get. My 3 1/2 week old DS is a very inefficient nurser (tries to sleep through it) and has latch problems (I've been using the nipple shield). I finally received my Purely Yours pump yesterday, and I am eager to start pumping. I can finally make sure he is getting all he needs. He is not gaining as he should. My question is how do I use the pump exactly? What settings should I use for the cycles and suction? I tried pumping after his feedings yesterday evening and in the middle of the night. I only got about 1 ounce each of those times. I plan to pump this morning. He fed around 5:30, but he takes an hour to nurse, so how do I fit a pumping in between feedings? I guess I will try about 7 or 7:30. I will also be calling the wonderful LC at the hospital, but I know there are so many knowledgable people on this board. I would love your advice. I hope pumping works out, because this has been so hard. My resolve has been crumbling, and formula is becoming more and more of a possibility. Thanks so much!

ETA: And how do you find time to pump when you're alone with a 3 1/2 week old? I finally have a chance, but it's so close to feeding time I'm scared to pump now. Ugh!

Katia
09-30-2004, 05:26 PM
Congratulations on the birth of your son! Those first weeks of breastfeeding can be so hard, and although I can't answer all of your questions, I wanted to give a little support and bump your post up so others will be sure to see it.

I have the Ameda PY and have been using it since my son was a newborn. I've always had the cycles knob at the maximum speed, and in the early days, I put the suction as high as it could go without causing discomfort (maybe 6 o'clock max).

Mornings are probably your best bet, since your body tends to produce the most milk then. Save your evenings for sleep :-) My DS also took a loooong time to nurse, so it was hard to fit in pumping sessions. I used to pump right after nursing and could usually get an ounce, so I think you're doing pretty well. I haven't tried it, but others here have pumped on one side while nursing on the other.

You'll get lots of support here, so come back and ask questions -- or just holler if you need some moral support. You can do it! :-)

Jenn221
09-30-2004, 08:15 PM
Is there something special I need to do? I have tried pumping the other breast while DS is feeding, but I can't get hardly any milk. I have also tried pumping after DS is done, but with the same result today. Maybe it is the relaxing thing. I can't ever do that, especially now. I am dealing with some depression and anxiety issues.

npace19147
09-30-2004, 10:25 PM
I totally sympathize! My DD was born premature at 29 weeks and was in the hospital for 9 weeks. I pumped that whole time, and when she came home we were using a nipple shield for another 2 months. We have only in the last week gotten off the shield. So hang in there!

As far as practical advice...I think for a first attempt getting 1 ounce each side isn't bad. The pump's action is very different from a baby's and it will take your body a little while to adjust. Your best bet is to try pumping early in the day, when you are (hopefully) the most rested and you have the most milk. I know for me my milk supply decreases as the day goes on, so you may be setting yourself up for problems by trying late in the day.

Start out with whatever suction level is comfortable for you. I pushed too hard trying to make sure I kept my production up and build a supply, and did some damage to my nipples that still causes me problems. Work up to it gradually!

Make sure you're getting as much rest as possible, really try to sleep when your baby sleeps. Drink a lot of water - it may help you to measure out how much water you need to drink a day, or get a large bottle and carry it around with you.

So much of BF'ing and pumping is a confidence game...if you don't feel like you can do it the odds of it working are significantly decreased. I completely understand how the exhaustion and depression and anxiety all circle around until you don't know which way is up!

If you have more specific questions or just need some support feel free to PM me.

missmelis01
09-30-2004, 10:31 PM
First, take a deep breath and relax -- BF does get easier! And you've certainly come to the right place for advice. After my son was born, I told my DH that BF was harder that labor and delivery. :-)

My son was also an inefficient sucker and used to fall asleep while nursing. As your DS grows, his sucking will become stronger. To counter the sleeping issue, I used to do something call switch feeding. As you notice your DS falling asleep, switch boobs. Also, make sure you are nursing him with no clothes on, and try tickling his cheek or flicking his feet to keep him awake. It's not as mean as it sounds! :)

If your DS is really an inefficient sucker, that might explain why you aren't getting a lot of milk when you pump(your body probably thinks you don't need that much). I also had this problem!!! I met with a LC and was told to pump after every nursing to make sure my body was being stimulated to produce enough milk. After about a couple weeks, you will see your supply slowly increase. And as my DS became stronger, I didn't have to pump that often. As far as the settings on the pump, I put the suction on max. I usually put the speed on slow for the first minute and then crank it up to the highest setting.

So at this point, I would use pumping as a way to ensure your body is making enough milk, and not as a way to build your freezer stash. For a while, it will seem like all you are doing is either nursing or pumping!!! But, some where between 6-8 weeks, you'll enter the breastfeeding groove, and you will see the hard work was worth it!

Hang in there, and good luck.

sntm
10-01-2004, 12:55 PM
Jenn,

First, big hugs and congrats on all your hard work. It will pay off in the long run. I had many of the same issues you have.

I also did the "triple-feeding" thing for a while, where you nurse, then pump, then feed what you just pumped in a bottle. I actually ended up with DH feeding the previous pumping in the bottle while I pumped. The amount you get may be small, but remember that he is getting some from actual nursing also. If you and the LC have determined that he is not getting much at all from nursing, you may want to try a few days of pumping and bottle-feeding, with nursing just for maintaining familiarity with the nipple. That will get a lot of calories into him and may lead to him being more awake for breastfeeding. I would definitely focus on pumping when he is eating or right before or after.

Be sure too that the nipple shield you are using has the cut-out and that his chin is positioned at the cutout. Although, i used it backward and it worked that way too! If your issue is flat nipples, after breastfeeding for a few minutes with the shield, try taking it off and relatching. The nipple will extend itself into the shield and maintains that position for a while, so it may be easier to latch onto after that point.

And if you've had any friends who have offered help, take them up on it! Invite them over for the day, order a pizza, and have them hold your DS when you need to pump. Make them do some laundry, too! Focus on the important tasks -- feeding your baby -- and let everything else slide for a while.

You are showing great devotion -- it seems like an overwhelming task but hopefully in a year or so you will be posting here about your success! I am so grateful I stuck with it, as hard as it was.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
Breastfeeding 15 months and counting

stillplayswithbarbies
10-05-2004, 04:39 PM
You want to mimic the way a baby suckles, so you want to start the pump at low suction and high speed. Then when the milk starts coming out, change it to higher suction and low speed. That is how a baby nurses; fast shallow sucks to stimulate the let-down and then slow deep sucks to draw the milk out.

...Karen
DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/borntobebreastfed2.gif