PDA

View Full Version : Too much fruit?

nitaghei
09-30-2004, 12:07 PM
Is there such a thing as a toddler getting too MUCH fruit?

Not juice- DS get no juice at all. But he does eat fruit at almost every meal. He love fruit, and gets it as dessert or snack. In a typical day, he'll eat 4 oz of applesauce; 1 banana (sometimes 2), a quarter of an apple (sometimes half), and half a cup of other fruit.

He's gaining weight well, and has no tummy issues. But I'm just amazed at how much fruit this child can put away.

Any other toddlers out there who're doing something similar?

Just wondering.

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

alkagift
09-30-2004, 09:23 PM
Nita,
I honestly haven't tried to give DS as much fruit as he would take to see his limits--I think he'd eat more than I do! My DS usually gets three servings of fruit a day--and a serving for him is 1/2 a banana at a time, 4 oz of applesauce, 1/2 an apple, diced, 1/2 a peach, 1/2 c blueberries, a cup or so or more canteloupe. With that fruit I am giving him something starchy and a fat, like some plain yogurt and a piece of bread or a waffle--he can't eat a whole banana and eat that too.

I often will not give him fruit at lunch or dinner so that I can get more veggies in! Neel sounds like he eats more fruit than my DS in general, but as long as he's getting enough other good veggies, protein, etc (and isn't eating fruit in lieu of those things) I wouldn't worry about it!

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

Laurelsmom2002
09-30-2004, 10:53 PM
well, we just went to ped this morning, and no, fruit is a good thing, we don't do fruit at dinner, it seems to cause sleep disorders w/ her, but she can put away a whole peach, or a wedge of melon w/ out blinking, variety is a good thing in a diet, and will keep the vitamin supplement away

nitaghei
10-01-2004, 11:00 AM
Allison,

I do some of the same things you do, in that fruit isn't served alone. The applesauce (at breakfast) is with yogurt and cereal. Fruit at other meals is always after the main meal. DS eats his veggies - most days, at any rate. At snack time, he gets the fruit with crackers and cheese or something similar. Neel's a few months older than Matthew, so that might explain some of difference in quantity - Neel started finishing the entire banana maybe 2 months ago or so.

Thanks

Nita

nitaghei
10-01-2004, 11:02 AM
Thanks Colleen. We do iron supplements (marginal low, but not quite anemia) and I prefer not to do vitamin supplements, after the last study I saw.

Nita