PDA

View Full Version : Breast Pumps? Start off with Manual or Electric?

excited4baby
10-05-2004, 02:14 PM
Which kind? I heard the Medela Harmony was the best. Any thoughts?

nitaghei
10-05-2004, 02:50 PM
What kind of use are you thinking about?

The Avent Isis is the best manual pump, hands down. It's great for occasional use, for a SAHM who will primarily be nursing, or for relieving engorgement. I actually used the Isis regularly, when I was down to pumping once a day. I also used it on business trips, when I pumped 6 times a day.

For a full-time WOHM, the Medela PIS or Ameda PY are the two top recommendations.

For exclusive pumping, renting a hospital grade pump is the way to go.

Do search the archives - the topic has been discussed several times, and you'll find links to places with good prices, too.

But you can't go wrong with getting the Isis. It's a great back-up pump, no matter what.

HTH

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

BeachBaby
10-05-2004, 02:59 PM
I have the Isis and the PY. I used the Isis when my milk came in and needed a little relief, not to mention "freeing up some space" so poor Simone could latch on. I also have been known to use the Isis in the car (DH is driving, of course)! :)

The PY has been great now that I am back at work.

Like the PP said, the choice of manual vs electric depends on what you need a pump for.

excited4baby
10-05-2004, 03:37 PM
I will be at home for 3 months with the baby and plan on giving him a bottle starting at or around 2 weeks. I don't plan on nursing when I go back to work. So I really only need something for 2 1/2 months, during which time I expect(of course, I have no idea at this point) to give him a bottle about 2 times a day. It sounds like I should get the Avent Isis and then see. Do you agree?

BeachBaby
10-05-2004, 04:01 PM
Yes, it sounds like a manual would meet your needs. I have never heard anything about the Medela one you mentioned, so I can't compare it specifically to the Isis, but the Isis really is great.

HTH!

sntm
10-05-2004, 04:05 PM
From other moms, I've heard that you can get more with a manual like the Isis, but it just takes longer. Though, with an electric, you could pump more frequently and have some frozen breastmilk for when you return to work, to delay having to start formula. So, it's a toss up.

One caveat -- I would wait longer than 2 weeks to introduce a bottle and would give it no more often than once a day, just for practice (with just an ounce or two). The idea is to keep the baby familiar with the bottle, but not to hurt your supply. Even if you plan to wean at 3 months, you want to protect your supply until then.

I'd encourage you to think about continuing to breastfeed when you get back to work though. You'll be an old pro at pumping by then, and your baby will continue to benefit. I've been back to work since Jack was 6 1/2 weeks and I can see the difference in him -- no ear infections, fewer diaper rashes, has never been on antibiotics for any reason. The long-term benefits are even more impressive (for you, too!)

If you are decided against pumping when you return to work, consider breastfeeding just when you are home and giving formula during the day. Some breastmilk is better than none!

Good luck!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
Breastfeeding 15 months and counting

tarahsolazy
10-05-2004, 04:05 PM
You have gotten great advice on pumps, sounds like a manual woule be fine for the three months you are home. I know pumping at work sucks (believe me, I know), so I could see why you wouldn't choose that. However, if you wanted to try, there is tons of support on this board. Also, some mamas are very successful with part-time nursing, nursing when you are home, and giving formula when you are at work. Just something to consider, it doesn't have to be all or none. You will need your manual pump at work at first, as well, because you will get engorged with weaning, even if you continue to nurse part time.

nitaghei
10-05-2004, 04:50 PM
Yes, the Isis should work for you. And I totally second (third?) what Tarah and Shannon said. I went back to work full time when DS was 6 weeks old; was exclusively pumping then, got him to nurse, and am still BF'g (21 months today!) - even though my original goal was 6 months.

And yes, I LOATHED pumping (started when DS was 4 days old) - but I'm really, really glad that I stuck it out. And remember, even BF'g isn't an all-or-nothing thing. You don't need to pump; you could still do a mix of formula during the weekdays and BF'g the rest of the time. It's a lot easier to nurse a baby at night than get bottles ready. BTDT. And any breastmilk is better than none.

You shouldn't start with a bottle until at least 3 weeks; waiting 4-6 weeks is better. And then only do one bottle a day. That's plenty for the baby to get used to taking a bottle.

Anyway, you'll figure out what works best for you and your family. And we're here to support you, if you decide to extend BF'g, or not!

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

excited4baby
10-06-2004, 11:48 AM
Thank you so much for your kind and encouraging words about nursing. It took my husband and me a number of years to conceive this child, and we would like to have a second, and for this reason, after much discussion between the two of us, consideration of our problems and consultation with our (many) doctors, we decided that that I should wean after three months so that we can begin to try to have a second child.

If we are successful, we determined that this second baby would benefit from being nursed longer!

sntm
10-06-2004, 02:14 PM
Good luck TTC! You can try charting temperatures after your baby is born also. Some women start ovulating sooner even with BFing, especially if you are only partially breastfeeding. That way, at least, you would know. Although if you are needing infertility help, that may not apply.

I would definitely consider an electric then, so you can pump lots and lots in the beginning and have some in the freezer for after you wean.

shannon
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03
Breastfeeding 15 months and counting

Katia
10-06-2004, 02:23 PM
Congratulations on your pregnancy! It took us a long, long time to get pregnant, too, and it's definitely worth the wait :-) I always feel so happy when I hear of other people's success stories.

FWIW, my period came back when DS was 7 months old...and we were exclusively breastfeeding! So you just never know.

Good luck with everything!

stillplayswithbarbies
10-06-2004, 02:37 PM
It is possible to have fertility return while breastfeeding. If you look up Lactation Amenorrhea Method and do the opposite of what is suggested to keep fertility away, it should return.

...Karen
DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/borntobebreastfed2.gif

KGoes
10-06-2004, 02:54 PM
As one who got pregnant while nursing, I can tell you that it may be possible to balance all of your needs while continuing to breastfeed. My OB also told me that if you pump exclusively or even the majority of the time, studies have shown that you will begin to cycle. Now, I don't know what study he is basing this on, so I throw it in FWIW.

Kelley
DD born 7/03
And the next one due 4/18/05

sntm
10-11-2004, 11:19 AM
Excited4baby, I was reading this on another site and thought of you. I don't know if the information is helpful, but something to look into!

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=203813

shannon
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03
Breastfeeding 16 months and counting

excited4baby
10-11-2004, 08:50 PM
Shannon: Your post brought tears to my eyes. Thank you so much!

sntm
10-12-2004, 05:29 PM
((((hugs))))
shannon
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03
Breastfeeding 16 months and counting