PDA

View Full Version : For moms who were able to "wean" your baby off a nipple shield...

kingdink
10-05-2004, 03:48 PM
I'm just wondering what, if any, problems you encountered. I stopped using mine yesterday morning and my DS(3 months next week) was able to nurse without it...Hooray! We only used it for middle of the night feeding, but are going without again today. A couple things though...He doesn't seem to nurse as quite as long without the shield, but I feel much softer when he's done. Might nursing without the shield be more efficient for him that it takes less time or should I be concerned? He doesn't cry or anything, so I'm assuming he's had enough. Also, what are some other ways I can get him to open his mouth wider. He got into some bad habits with the shield, like sucking it into his mouth instead of opening wide and letting me give it all to him at once. I've tried to get him to open wide the last month or so in order to prepare for regular nursing, but he's still not opening quite enough and it can get uncomfortable for me. I've tried waiting for him to open wider and pushing gently on his chin, but he just gets mad at me and cries. Any suggestions? Thanks so much for your help!

Jo

sl98
10-05-2004, 05:35 PM
Jo,
I was not able to nurse at all when DS was born and had to pump. We then were able to move to the nipple shield. We used it for over a month until he finally got the hang of it. I had to go to a lactation consultant twice a week to make sure he was getting enough milk when he nursed. To answer your question, I was told that it is much easlier for him to nurse without the shield. If your breast is soft and he is happy then everything is going well. I was in a lot of pain after we discontinued use of the shield. My nipples were very sore and I think it was in part to him not latching correctly. I did not find a solution to him opening his mouth any wider, eventually he just got the hang of it and I stopeed hurting. Good luck.

Shauna

New Mom since July 8, 2004

kingdink
10-05-2004, 06:03 PM
Hey,
Thanks, I'm hoping he'll get the hang of it. He was able to latch in the hospital, but I bled the very first time he did. The LC said it was fine, but it was awful. I was suddenly and completely engorged a couple hours after I left the hospital. I was so upset he couldn't latch and because of the horomones he was screaming. Instead of pumping some out my sister gave me a nipple shield...big mistake. At least I know better for next time. Now I just want to get rid of it and I'm glad DS is finally letting me. We can work out the kinks...I'm just happy to be shield-less :)

Jo

Puddy73
10-05-2004, 06:29 PM
Congratualtions on weaning your DS from the shield! I used one with DD until she was almost 3 months old and I was sooo happy when she learned to nurse without it. A shield slows down the flow of milk and can prevent the breast from draining completely, which probably explains why your DS is able to nurse more efficiently and why you feel softer. If I remember correctly, I had to push down on DD's chin every time she latched on for several weeks after she weaned from the shield. She did get the hang of it eventually and is still nursing like a champ. My LC also told me to look at the baby and open my mouth very wide so that she would imitate me. I didn't notice that it ever worked, but it might be worth a try.

Good luck!

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle Mae 9/8/03

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

npace19147
10-06-2004, 09:41 AM
My DD was born premature at 29 weeks. I pumped for 9 weeks while she was in the hospital and then we used a nipple shield for another 8 weeks - finally got off the shield 2 weeks ago (and counting!).

It is definitely more efficient to nurse without the shield. Before we got off of it our nursing sessions would take up to an hour, and now we're done in 20 - 30 minutes, and I think she's getting more milk.

If you've been nursing only using the nipple shield from birth, your nipples are going to have a breaking in period while they adjust to no shield. I'm going through that right now and it definitely hurts - what I find is that it hurts on initial latch and then once the milk comes in it is much better. If that's what you have it may just be a toughening up issue for your nipples. I've also heard that as the babies get bigger they can take more of the areola into their mouths, which helps with the problem.

Good luck - sounds like you're over the worst of it!

sntm
10-06-2004, 01:02 PM
ita -- easier for babe without shield. for latch, sandwich technique works well -- pinch your boob behind the areola, put baby's chin where it should be and use underside of areola to tickle, then fold/stuff the squished boob into his mouth. it will look like it won't fit but it will.

will try to find a better explanation or pics for you.

pak
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
Breastfeeding 15 months and counting

HannaAddict
10-08-2004, 02:32 AM
My son was in the NICU for 2 weeks so I pumped (and pumped. . .) And I found out I had flat nipples. So, at the hospital's LC suggestion we used the nipple shield for about 2 weeks, it took about a week to wean off of it with the help of a great pediatrician. But even though we were off the nipple shield, it took many more weeks to nurse without pain and frustration. I think I was so desperate to get him off the shield and to latch on, that I let him nurse with a bad latch and paid for it with very hurt nipples. I took ibuprofen before nursing, used warm compresses before nursing and would pump a tiny bit to get some flow before nursing. I was getting pretty desperate and trying to find a lactation consultant but looking at different message boards helped (here, kellymom.com) and had a break through after watching and rewatching the babycenter.com online video on correct latching on. On one side I would have to take him off and put him back off over and over until he would open up. He got pretty mad sometimes but we did it. It was worth it. Breastfeeding six months and counting.

Kimberly
Adorable Son (3/18/04) Our Anniversary too

sntm
10-08-2004, 12:36 PM
http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0409C&L=lactnet&T=0&F=&I=-3&S=&X=51D7D360DE50595C94&Y=snt3s%40virginia%2Eedu&P=669

http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0409C&L=lactnet&T=0&F=&I=-3&S=&X=51D7D360DE50595C94&Y=snt3s%40virginia%2Eedu&P=1164
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
Breastfeeding 16 months and counting