PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to awful-tasting liquid vitamin drops?

dueinmay
10-05-2004, 03:51 PM
DD needs extra iron espec., so we have been trying the Poly-Vi-Sol drops with iron, but she hates them! I don't know if she could handle a children's chewable vit yet (16 mths old), but maybe. Anyone have experience with this or ideas to suggest?

Thanks!!

kingdink
10-05-2004, 03:54 PM
You could crush the vitamin and mix it in her food if you're worried about her choking on it. By 16 months she could probably handle it...just make sure you watch her chew it up.

Jo

lfp2n
10-05-2004, 03:56 PM
My DD also takes them-its nasty stuff. I was putting it in cows milk as it was the ONLY way for me but I don't advise that if you can avoid it as the milk is alkali and makes absorbtion less efficient. For the last couple of months I have mixed a dropperful into a tub of applesauce every morning, its the first thing she has and she eats it down fine.
I'm looking to move to chewable now.

HIH

Lucy DD 3/03

COElizabeth
10-05-2004, 03:59 PM
James hated those drops, too, but loved a peach-flavored liquid multivitamin with iron made by Schiff. I found it at Whole Foods, but I am not sure if all the locations have it. Someone else here found it online, I believe.

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
EDD #2, 10-30-04

sntm
10-05-2004, 04:07 PM
We use a chewable from Whole Foods called Kangavites (I think, I can never remember!) which we started when Jack was 14 months or so. I initially cut them into smaller bits, until I was sure he could chew them okay, but now I give them whole and just keep an eye on him when he chews them. Jack ADORES them -- runs to the fridge when we say vitamins. I think he thinks they are candy :) but they only have a gram of sugar each, so not bad.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
Breastfeeding 15 months and counting