PDA

View Full Version : Lumpiness/tenderness a week after weaning - normal?

CiderLogan
10-05-2004, 05:24 PM
We weaned a week ago, and I was surprised at how easily it went. But now one side has a lump right under the nipple. I know there's a chance this could lead to mastitis. Is the best thing to BF again or leave it alone and hope it will go away? (Is it possible that it will go away on its own?) I certainly wouldn't mind BFing again, but I'm afraid that would build my supply back up. We had been down to just one side for one feeding per day, and I felt absolutely no fullness after we weaned, so I am disappointed that I may be dealing with new problems. Any advice would be great!

Thanks,
Jenny
Mom of Julia, 8/03

Momof3Labs
10-05-2004, 09:29 PM
You've gotta get that lump cleared or you risk mastitis - they tend not to go away on their own. You can put a warm compress on it (or jump in a very warm shower) and then hand express to help clear the lump. If hand-expressing doesn't work, then break your pump back out, but don't pump a lot, just enough to loosen the lump. You may have to repeat this a few times over the next day or two, but the lump itself should clear pretty quickly. It might take another day or so for the tenderness to subside.

Rachels
10-05-2004, 11:10 PM
Also take lecithin, 1200 mg 3x/day. That will help, too.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya Angelou

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Two years and counting!

CiderLogan
10-06-2004, 12:09 AM
Thanks to you both! Do I have to pump, or can I BF directly? (I guess BFing might make me create more milk, whereas the pump won't??)

Jenny
Mom of Julia, 8/03

Momof3Labs
10-06-2004, 12:42 AM
Well, you might not want to bf directly because your DD might take that to mean that the milk bar isn't closed down. Both could, in theory, make you create more milk, but you can control the pumping much better and only pump as needed until the lump clears. And if your supply is pretty low, your DD might not stay on long enough to help the lump.

If you don't have a pump that you can use, I'd go the hand expression route rather than nursing, personally.

CiderLogan
10-06-2004, 05:20 PM
Thanks, Lori! Those reasons make lots of sense. I was hesitant to bring out the pump again - I didn't have much luck pumping towards the end, so I was a little intimidated (silly, I know). But I pumped and the lump seems much reduced. Thanks for your support!!

Jenny
Mom of Julia, 8/03