PDA

View Full Version : Milk Supply and fenugreek

neeter
10-05-2004, 08:52 PM
DS is 8 months, and for the past two weeks my milk supply has been dwindling to maybe half the usual output. I was set to go to GNC tonite and get some fenugreek. Lo and behold - AF is here! So if this is the case, can I count on my supply to go back up, or should I start the fenugreek anyway?

I have been eating oatmeal once a day but haven't really seen a boost in output.

Thanks for your help!

kijip
10-06-2004, 12:38 AM
The fenugreek won't hurt and lots of people see a boost in just a few days to 1 week. You could try the tea first (Mother's Milk) if you are not worried or just don't like pills.

jubilee
10-06-2004, 04:54 AM
My understanding is that you'd have to eat a LOT of oatmeal to make a difference. The suggested amount of fenugreek is 9 tabulets a day- 3 pills x 3 times a day... or until you smell like maple syrup! No kidding. :) Hope your supply increases!

kijip
10-06-2004, 05:26 AM
You really will smell like fake syrup! I was convinced I was in a pancake house! ...very surreal!

neeter
10-06-2004, 09:43 AM
Thanks, I will head out to GNC today!

SeekerMage
10-06-2004, 01:41 PM
Dont go to GNC!!!!!
Their herbs dont work....per my LC you want the whole flower stem and all for the fenugreek and they only have the flower part and that is the weakest part (if I remember correctly) either way...I was told not to use the GNC kind that it is very ineffective. WHole Foods and most other health food stores carry them. Even my Dominicks (in Chicago area) carries it. I know Natures Way is a good brand to try. You can also order it online at various herbal shops. If you do get it, it cant hurt, its just not nearly as effective as most other brands.

neeter
10-06-2004, 02:55 PM
Oh OH thanks for this tip! I can go to Whole Foods this afternoon. :)

mommd
10-06-2004, 10:30 PM
Not sure if you already got the Fenugreek yet or not, but wanted to share that Fenugreek by itself did not help my supply at all. I found these pills "Lactate Support" made by Gala-herbs, and it contains fenugreek, fennel seed, blessed thistle, red raspberry leaf and marshmallow root. It works great! I noticed a difference in 3 days. One other plus is that it is only one pill three times a day and my urine doesn't smell like syrup!

Good luck with increasing your supply! :)

missmelis01
10-08-2004, 10:59 PM
I took Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle and it helped my supply, but it sounds like these Lactate Support pills might be better because you would only have to worry about one pill.

Good Luck!

diekatze
10-09-2004, 12:14 AM
My milk supply was low from beginning. I tried fenugreek, mother's tea and oatmeal. I literally brought around oatmeal day and night. I took hot shower 4-5 times a day...

I think they all helped. Especially fenugreek. Only think I had fast let down that made my DS cry and refused get nursed til he got used to it...

neeter
10-09-2004, 09:06 AM
Its working! I'm taking the fenugreek and I think my supply is getting better. Thanks for your help. Now...do I keep taking them, or should my continued pumping/nursing be able to maintain this? Thanks again!

diekatze
10-09-2004, 05:20 PM
I did try for one week or so. I guess til I thought my supply was good enough. Then I would nurse more often and pump if my DS refuses to nurse... Glad it's working and good luck.
***I did BF til my DS was 7 months old then I stopped. I miss BF though... DS in my arms, falling asleep while nursing etc...Enjoy it.

chlobo
10-10-2004, 10:30 PM
I have the same problem of a diminshed supply around the time of AF. I read this link at Kellymom and it suggested taking Calcium to counteract the problem. You might want to try it in addition to the herbs.

http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/natural-treatments.html

Low milk supply associated with menstruation: Calcium/magnesium supplement
Some women experience a drop in milk supply from ovulation (mid-cycle) until the first day or two of the next menstrual period. A woman's blood calcium levels gradually decrease during this period of time, and for some women the drop in blood calcium causes a drop in milk supply. For women who have this problem, calcium/magnesium supplements may be helpful. This practice has also been reported to eliminate most uterine cramping and some premenstrual discomfort such as water retention.

The recommended calcium supplement dosage is between 500 mg calcium/250 mg magnesium and 1500 mg calcium/750 mg magnesium (the higher dosage is generally more effective). Calcium dosages this high should not be taken alone, but as a calcium/magnesium (or calcium/magnesium/zinc) combination. Otherwise the calcium will not be adequately absorbed into your body. The amount of supplement depends on the composition of your diet -- the more animal protein, the more calcium/magnesium needed. If you are a vegetarian or vegan, the lower dosage may work fine for you.

Start the supplement when you ovulate, and continue through the first few days of your menstrual period. If periods are irregular, then begin calcium/magnesium at 14 days after the beginning of your last menstrual cycle, or simply take the supplement every day.

neeter
10-11-2004, 08:07 AM
Thank you - this is really really helpful!!

jerseygirl07067
10-11-2004, 08:32 PM
The other replies you got seemed really helpful, but I just wanted to add my oatmeal experience. I noticed a decrease in my production too, especially around ovulation. I started eating a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, and saw a minimal increase. But one morning I woke up really hungry so I had two big bowls and I saw a HUGE difference. I've been doing this ever since and have noticed a big difference when I don't eat the oatmeal.

Good luck!

Marcy