PDA

View Full Version : Starting solids and traveling

KrisM
10-05-2004, 10:04 PM
I was planning on starting solids at the 6 month point, which is the end of this month. However, we now have a 750 mile trip planned for the following week. I think that having new foods, a couple long car rides, being in a strange place with strange people is a lot for DS to handle at once.

I am debating whether to start a week or two earlier or a week or two later. I'm leaning towards just waiting until we're back. That way, we screw up his schedule as little as possible. But, lately, he just stares at us when we eat. I think he has reached all the readiness signs, so we're just waiting the month out, really.

Would you start a bit early or just wait? Or, does the trip really not factor in and I could just go at 6 months.

Thanks!

caheinz
10-05-2004, 11:02 PM
We were planning to start at 6 months, DS has been showing signs for some time now. But, we hit 6 months last week, got caught up this past weekend, and are headed out of town next weekend.

It seems easier to us to not change things with a trip coming up. Of course, DS is breastfed, so it's much easier to not add food we would have to bring along!

We give DS cups and a spoon to play with while we eat, along with other toys. He now sits at the table with us for at least one meal (usually breakfast), so at least we have that started. The solids will come, probably in about ten more days ;) . I doubt the extra two and a half weeks or so without solids will make a difference -- I've not seen anything suggesting there would be a window for accepting solids that's quite that short!

So, if you're anxious to start them, you can, but if not, I don't think there'd be any harm in waiting!

Good luck!