PDA

View Full Version : I need a little reassurance here,lol.

smallestangel
10-05-2004, 11:09 PM
I've read that a breastfed baby at Jacob's age (six months) may only poop about once a week and that's okay. Have you guys found this to be true? Reason I ask is that even though I've heard this, I still find it to be a little strange when I realize it's been days since he's gone! He usually goes without for six days, but then, on that seventh day, POW!! :o lol

He's doing great, dosen't seem to ever be in any kind of distress, but I can't get that nagging feeling out of my head that he *should* need to poop more. He has lots of wet dipes every day.

Thanks!

Amanda & Jacob :)

kijip
10-06-2004, 12:36 AM
Each baby is different! I was uber concerned about Toby at one point (no dirty diapers in week) only to be told calmly by my LCs that while there are norms, many babies fall outside of the norms. They were not concerned at all that he had not had a dirty diaper in a week when they drilled it into my heads during the breastfeeding class that there should be x number per day!! So long as you have the wet diapers and no constipation signs I think you are fine!

quikeye
10-06-2004, 01:02 AM
Absolutely for us. Kai still only has a bm every 5-7 days since he was born... we've been having a few "different" kinds since trying new solids, but he pretty much stays on his 5-7 day schedule. Which I'm thankful for! :) DH even asked our ped about it (*I* told him it was okay), and the ped said no problem as long as K didn't have a problem (pushing, grunting, discomfort...)

lizajane
10-06-2004, 02:16 PM
every weekend like clockwork!! and it was naaaaaaaasty, too. LOL.

sntm
10-06-2004, 02:17 PM
LOL, the variation is amazing. jack has always been 2-3 times a day.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
Breastfeeding 15 months and counting

stillplayswithbarbies
10-06-2004, 02:40 PM
Breastmilk has very little waste. Almost all of it is digested and used by the body, so there is very little left to poop out. That's why many breastfed babies don't poop very often.

...Karen
DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/borntobebreastfed2.gif

hez
10-06-2004, 03:36 PM
Payton, too! The nice part is, he seems to save them for the sitter-- he sometimes only gives me one a day on the weekends and then four the following Monday for the sitter :)

vdrake71
10-06-2004, 05:07 PM
My DS was only pooping every 4-6 days after we started him on food (and he still is BF). We called the Dr. because DS had to push really hard and what was coming out was very adult like. The Dr. put DS on a stool softener which we give him every 3-4 days and things are much regular now.

lisaE
10-06-2004, 08:27 PM
Consider yourself lucky you don't have to change as many yuck diapers!

Connor only went once every week to ten days. I knew that it was normal for BF babies, but it still freaked me out. I couldn't help but worry, then feel so relieved when he finally went!

Don't worry!

smallestangel
10-08-2004, 11:15 AM
Thanks all!

Like I said, I had read that it was normal but as a pp said, it was still weird to me that anyone (baby or otherwise) could go that long w/o there being something wrong. It's good to hear he's not alone. :)

Karen,

Thanks. I remembered reading that it was okay but couldn't remember exactly why.

(I keep laughing because I can't believe I wrote a post devoted to poop,lol.) :)

Amanda & Jacob :)