PDA

View Full Version : Disposable bottle liners - target vs. playtex

babymama
10-06-2004, 08:34 AM
Using disp. bottle liners on a temporary basis, and I'm having a hard time w/ the Target brand liners. They only seem to hold 7 ounces of formula (not 8) and it's hard to tell how many ounces are left after DS is done. Are the playtex ones better?
TIA!

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03

emilye
10-06-2004, 08:58 AM
Hi Lydia

The playtex ones hold 8oz but you have to let it settle so the wrinkles get smoothed out by the liquid because 8oz takes it all the way to the top! (It can be kinda a pain) When your child is done eating or takes a break and you want to see how much he ate, its impossible to tell with the bag all wrinkled. Unscrew the bottle and the bag will fill up with air again, then you can tell. Then I just squeeze some of the air out again before I start feeding again.

Even with the drawbacks, these bottles are still work great for me and my son. He is very gassy and I know he at least is not getting any extra air. Also, I find the bottles extreemly easy to care for. Babies R us had the 8oz playtex liners on sale - 3 boxes for $8 and change and I had a coupon.

Good Luck! Hope this helps :)

Emily
Mommy to Prince Anthony 8/19/04 and
Josie our little princess basset hound 4/16/01 ;)

babymama
10-06-2004, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the info, Emily!

Do the Playtex liners have the ounces marked on the bag w/ a red or black or blue line? The Target ones show the ounces w/ a clear line and clear number on a CLEAR bag, *AND* they only show every 2 ounces marked with a (clear) line. Makes absolutely no sense to me!!!

I figured out the letting-air-back-in-the bag trick, but I noticed that it's hard to squeeze the air out the second time bc my hand won't fit through the bottom of the bottle far enough to make all the air go out if DS leaves say 4 or 2 ounces.

I'm still not sure if I'll buy the playtex liners bc of the hassle with returning the Target ones and I'm not sure that they'd give me my $ back since I've already used 2-3 from the box. BUT!!! If the Plytex liners are marked more clearly (w/ the ounces), I may just pull myself together to do this.

On the disposables....boy, do I appreciate the easy cleanup of the bottles!!! I'll be traveling and this will come in handy, no doubt. Santiago had no problem w/ the nipple - which is great, bc he would not take to the Avent nipples at all (our reg. bottles are Dr. Browns).

Thanks again!!!

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03

mamaturk
10-07-2004, 06:50 PM
The playtex bag liners are marked with clear #'s on the clear bag. It does seem a little silly. When we are trying to get the air out of an almost empty bottle I'll use something to push the air out.. a flashlight, cell phone, anything thats long enough and not sharp. Looks like a birthday is coming soon for your baby too..... Can you believe it????

emilye
10-09-2004, 12:26 AM
Hi Lydia,

I haven't been to the computer lately, taking care of
Anthony has me on the go!

I see you got your answer about the markers on the playtex liners. I did want to mention that I don't squeeze all the air out so that's why I don't have a problem with the length. I noticed that if I just squeeze a little out to get it started, it collapes easily when the baby drinks from it. And really that's the point right? That the bag collapes and there is no extra air left in the bottle as the baby drinks.

That's what works for us! Hope you have success!

Take care,
Emily