PDA

View Full Version : breast milk and period--tmi

sdbc
10-06-2004, 01:23 PM
OK, so dd is almost 5 months old. We've been breastfeeding and I've been pumping at work. So far I have been able to make all that she needs and have not needed to supplement.

To my horror, starting last night, it seems that I am having a light period! (It may be light because I'm on Mirena.) And today, I didn't pump out as much as I usually do at my first workday pumping.

Isn't it rare to get your period when you are exclusively bfing? And my main question is: should I be worried that my milk production will decrease, or will it just be reduced DURING my period, and not overall?

Thanks!

Sue

smallestangel
10-06-2004, 01:47 PM
Hi

Jacob's been exclusively breastfed since birth and I got my period back at 8 weeks! ;( I was looking forward to not having one for months too,lol.

I do notice a slight dip in my supply for a few days before & during my period. It's only temporary and things get back to normal quickly.

If I'm feeling especially low, I make a batch of oatmeal cookies! :) It works just enough to give my supply a little boost.

Amanda & Jacob :)

nitaghei
10-06-2004, 01:47 PM
Actually, no, it isn't rare, unfortunately for some of us. :( Yes, some women luck out :). I only got a break until 6 months, and I was exclusively BF'g (and pumping at work). There always was a drop around that time, but only for 3-4 days, and then went back to normal. I did make an extra effort to stay hydrated and eat a little more (especially right before pumping) to minimize the drop.

HTH

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

sdbc
10-06-2004, 02:54 PM
Thanks so much. If it's only temporary during my period, I shouldn't have a problem--I'll just need to dip into my freeer stash. I'm relieved to hear that it will mostly just be during my period.

So, what's this about oatmeal cookies??

Sue

tarahsolazy
10-06-2004, 02:57 PM
Oatmeal is thought to increase your supply, naturally. And, its way more fun to eat in cookie form!

Oh yeah, and dark beer, too, if you go for that kind of thing. I wish Oreos and Coke increased your supply...

sdbc
10-06-2004, 10:54 PM
Well, I'd have no problem eating some oatmeal cookies every day!!!! I'll start tomorrow! :)

Rachels
10-07-2004, 08:50 AM
If you need them, there are other galactogues listed at www.drjacknewman.com.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya Angelou

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Two years and counting!

smallestangel
10-08-2004, 11:07 AM
Yep, I had read that oatmeal could increase your supply here:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/oatmeal.html

and I'm not a huge fan of it, but I don't have any problem eating cookies. :) While it dosen't make me feel like I'm getting a huge increase, I do see a little boost, which is all I need during that time.

Amanda & Jacob :)