PDA

View Full Version : ? re: Sterilization of pump and bottles

amazz
10-06-2004, 03:15 PM
This may sound really dumb, but I've never had to sterilize anything before now, so please don't laugh! (and if you do, just don't tell me about it ;)) I need to sterilize my breast pump and the few bottles I have and was wondering what the best method (best=easiest and cheapest). I was just going to wash them in warm soapy water and then boil them. Is that the best thing to do? And how long should I boil? And (here's where the dumb part might come in) will anything melt in boiling water? Do I use tongs to take out the things of the boiling water or do I let everything cool and then take out the things? How do I store the pump and bottles to maximize sterilization?

BTW, I don't plan to sterilize the bottles every time I use them, but it will just make me feel better to know they have been done at least once! And do I need to sterilize the pump every time or can I just run it through the dishwasher?

TIA!!!
Angela
EDD 10/15/04
A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on. ~Carl Sandburg

Marisa6826
10-06-2004, 03:33 PM
Do you know what kind of bottles you plan on using? We used Avent and LOVED the Avent microwave sterilizer. We started out with the big lobster pot of boiling water. Not only was it tedious, it would make the condo so damn hot, I couldn't stand it! Nothing like those post partum hot flashes to add to a mood ;).

The Avent sterilizer is something like $30 and worth every penny. It fits (I think) 6-8 bottles with nipples, collars and covers - both the 4oz and 9 oz ones. It also easily fit my Medela pump parts - including the collection bottles.

I would wash the stuff with soapy water, throw it in the sterilizer and it was all done in about 6 minutes (it depends on the wattage of your micro).

I tried those Medela ( think that's who makes them) micro sterilizer bags and didn't like them. You can't fit a lot in there at all, although they're handy for travel situations.

As far as what to do with the stuff once you've put them through, we'd just lay the stuff upside down on a clean dish towel. Of course, the stuff is technically not sterile any more, it was good enough for us.

If you have a newer dishwasher, it will likely get hot enough that it will work fine to sterilize. A lot of the new ones have an antibacterial wash cycle now anyway. It's really not necessary to sterilize anything more than the first time you take it out of the box, but it was a comfort thing for us. Unless Raisin was a preemie, sterilization is not needed. It's just a neurotic Mommy thing ;).

Good luck

-m

sdbc
10-06-2004, 03:40 PM
Just wanted to say that I love the quick clean micro-steam bags from medela! You can use one forever.

BTW, I don't normally sterilize bottles and nipples except in the dishwasher. I DO sterilize the pump horns, etc, though, and I wash them by hand. I don't think a dishwasher can get in all the nooks and crannies.

hez
10-06-2004, 04:04 PM
If you do boil in on the stove in a pan, just don't let the water boil off completely. Ask my mom about a pair of breast shields she had to have my brother scour off a pot :) She claims it was a senior moment!

And yes, I used tongs and cooled it all on a towel in the kitchen.

After we realized what a pain that was, we graduated to the Medela bags. Now that DS's older and I'm less anal, I just run everything through the dishwasher once a week, pump parts included. Otherwise it all gets washed by hand.

HTH!

HannaAddict
10-08-2004, 02:22 AM
I run everything through the dishwasher on antibacterial cycle and also boil my pump parts, bottles weekly. I used the Medela microwave bags until it melted the tubing for my Pump in Style. Steam can be significantly hotter than boiling water, so be careful using the microwave!

jacksmomtobe
10-09-2004, 08:09 PM
I use the Medela microwave bags and love them! They are so quick & easy. I clean off my parts with soap & water then pop them in the bag. Then I let them air dry on a clean dish towel. If I want to move them from the towel before I'm ready to pump then I put the parts in a ziploc bag & put them in my pump bag. DO NOT use the microwave bags for your TUBING..a LC told me this but I did it any ways and guess what it fried the tubing. Medela sent me a free replacement though. My lc said for the tubing you do not need to sterilize it unless milk gets in there. She said if that occurs to flush the tubing with alchol rather than water because a little water lingering in there can turn into something nasty. She sugg using a dental syringe but I found a droper that allows me to push the alcohol through. Air dry the tubing after doing this.

Good Luck!
Kim