PDA

View Full Version : When did you start Cheerios?

CBB
10-09-2004, 01:12 AM
When is it okay to give cheerios? I read that those without wheat can be given earlier. I'm mostly worried about choking.

Thanks!

ellies mom
10-09-2004, 04:02 AM
I started DD on regular cherrios about 7 to 8 months (it's all a blur :) ). They dissolve pretty quickly, so I don't think choking is really a big issue. I started to give them to her because I was at my wits end, she wouldn't eat anything. She loved being able to feed herself. Even now, I always put cherrios on her tray especially if I'm trying to spoon feed her. I didn't worry about the wheat thing.

jubilee
10-09-2004, 04:33 AM
I started cheerios about 8 months old. They have a wheat-free version at Whole Foods, Natures, etc. Another idea is to give plain puffed rice cereal- that dissolves really easily. I snapped the cheerios in half at first, but soon gave them whole (they were easier for him to grab). You can also let them sit in a little milk/formula for a few minutes, then give it to the baby. They will be softer then.

new_mommy25
10-09-2004, 05:22 AM
I think it was around 8 months. I never snapped them in half. He didn't really get the hang of picking them up until he was almost 10 months though.

Imperia
10-09-2004, 09:06 AM
We started these this month (8 months old) and DD loves them because she can feed herself. She has never choked on them, they get mushy pretty fast. I feed her the Joe's O's from Trader Joes which have no wheat. I have a friend who has a wheat allergy, so she fed her daughter rice krispies instead.

Imperia

jbowman
10-09-2004, 11:15 AM
We introduced Cheerios around 7 1/2 months. Ellie never had any problems, but it took her some time to figure out what to do. Now she's a *champ*!

diekatze
10-09-2004, 06:31 PM
7 or 8 months...He LOVED IT!!!! I had no issue with choking on cheerios yet. He's now 14 months old and got only two bottom teeth. Back when he was 7 month, he didn't have any. But with his gum, he did fine...

Some people like to put the cheerios in the milk first but my DS liked it CRUNCHY!

For a while that was the only thing will get me work around the kitchen. Put them on the high chair and he loved to pick them up and put it in his mouth. Well 3/4 went to floor or inside the high chair but he would stay in his high chair for more than 30 minutes...

He still like them but not as much.

audys
10-10-2004, 03:34 PM
Hi Li, my ped said to start cheerios whenever we were ready at our 6 month visit - she said they dissolve quickly.

I had a wheat allergy so started with the plain Cheerios (mostly oatmeal) a few weeks ago. He swallowed some whole but has had no problems yet,

Audrey, mother to Graham

http://lilypie.com/baby1/050210/3/15/1/+10/.png (http://lilypie.com)

westchicagomom
10-11-2004, 02:30 AM
We started w/ O cereal about 8 months.

I am very concerned about food allergies so we did not do Cheerios or the Trader Joe's version because I could not conclusively determine whether the TJ's had wheat or not. The Joe O's ingredient list says "modified food starch" which could be wheat (there was a cheerios thread a while back which brought this possibility to my attention)

If you are concerned about wheat the only brands I found that are wheat- free:

Barbara's Breakfast O's
Whole Foods Organic Morning O's (attempt to prevent cross contamination also)

I wouldn't worry about choking - they are so tiny and dissolve quick. They are a great finger food!

sugarsnappea
10-11-2004, 09:29 AM
We started Rice Krispies at about 7 1/2 months, and just started Cheerios this past weekend (8 1/2 months). DD can handle them pretty well, she did choke on one, but expelled it pretty fast. I would start on a wheat free version like the others suggested. My DD developed a nasty case of eczema, which I am sure is due to the wheat.

c2lane
10-11-2004, 01:23 PM
We started them around 6-7 months. I just gave them to her whole and we've never had a problem. I always take a container with us whenever we go out to dinner. Great distraction and she loves them.

Carrie & Dillan Rose 01/02/04
http://lilypie.com/baby1/050102/2/16/0/-8/.png
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amber_9m.gif 9+ months

jillc
10-11-2004, 06:33 PM
Sounds like Dillan Rose & my Abby would get along just great. :) We also intro'd Cheerios a few weeks ago at 6.5 mos, and she loves them. She's not always nuts about all of the pureed fruits & veggies we're trying, but she just loves those Cheerios. She always sits in her high chair & eats a few Cheerios when DH & I eat dinner. I think she has fun "gumming" them. I'm also carrying some in my diaper bag now for anytime we go out to lunch or dinner. If she's getting antsy while we're out, she's a happy camper as long as we pop a Cheerio in her mouth for her every few minutes.

Jen in Chicago
10-12-2004, 01:49 PM
I believe around 6 months and I gave full O's. I usually bought Trader Joe's O's b/c that is where I normally shopped, but since there is no history of any allergies the Ped was not concerned.

My rule for my sanity is I put whatever in my mouth to see how quickly it dissolves. Cheerios dissolve fast! Just think of all of the extra drool in a baby's mouth compared to mine.