PDA

View Full Version : medela breast pump

idgy
10-11-2004, 05:04 PM
Does anyone have advice on which Medela breast pump to buy? I have access to getting a Medela pump at wholesale cost, but the website is confusing as to the difference between Pump In Style original vs advanced, etc. I am hoping someone has recently compared the different models and has an opinion on the one they chose.

Thanks

Momof3Labs
10-11-2004, 08:00 PM
Personally, I'd go with the original. It is pretty tried and true, whereas the jury is still out on the advanced. I like having control over the speed and suction settings, personally, rather than letting the pump do it for me.

californiamom
10-11-2004, 11:51 PM
I have a Pump in Style Traveler original and LOVE it. My boss has the advanced and she's pretty happy with it, too. They are both great pumps and I guess you'd be fine either way. I agree with the PP, though -- the originals have been around and tested for a long time.

HTH

Ana

vdrake71
10-12-2004, 02:25 PM
I have the advanced and love it. It is an easy pump because the pump does the work and you can just sit back. I decided to go with the advanced because I was looking for something that was easy to use. I do believe that both of these products are great so you will not be disappointed with either one.

tarahsolazy
10-12-2004, 02:34 PM
I have the original in the Traveler style. (The backpack one). My insurance covered my pump, but only if I got it from the hospital LCs, who had Medela ones. I like controlling the suction and speed myself. I use tips that Laurie posted (momof3labs) to maximize my output, fast speed/low suction until the milk lets down, then slow speed/high suction, then back to fast/low to get another let down. This would not be possible with the advanced. Also, I really like that you can take the pump out of the backpack, its just a little cube, and has a little case within the big backpack. Since I carry a big backpack anyway, I can just sling the pump and horns in it. Anyway, either pump is a great product for working, nursing moms.

idgy
10-12-2004, 07:19 PM
>I have the advanced and love it. It is an easy pump because
>the pump does the work and you can just sit back. I decided
>to go with the advanced because I was looking for something
>that was easy to use. I do believe that both of these
>products are great so you will not be disappointed with either
>one.

Oh good, you have the advanced model! It is my understanding, from the website, that this pump has an adjustable speed and vacuum control... but it looks like from other responses you don't have this control with this model. Also, it comes with a battery pack doesn't it? If you wouldn't mind my asking what did you have to pay for this pump? Thanks alot.

nupe
10-12-2004, 09:11 PM
I have the advanced, and it has been working for me. I sent DH to buy it for me, so I really wasn't aware of the differences between this one and the original at the time. The LCs I have been talking to lately have not really said anything one way or the other when I tell them which model I have.

I have seen a few posts on this board of folks who ended up exchanging their advanced for the original given the greater control.

You can use the advanced get a 2nd letdown. Whenever you turn the pump off and turn it on, it starts out as fast speed, low suction again.

expecting
10-19-2004, 06:13 PM
Hi,

I am also shopping for a Medela PIS. Do you mind sharing your venue of getting one at wholesale cost? which website is that please?

Thanks,
expecting in Dec 04

idgy
10-20-2004, 12:55 PM
I would love to help you out, but am receiving my pump from a friend in the business. Sorry! Always nice to know someone.

missmelis01
10-20-2004, 02:29 PM
My company provided pumps to new moms at a deep discount, so when I was ordering mine, I spoke to the Medela folks about the difference between the Original and Advanced. The Advanced is suppose to have some mechanism that helps with the letdown reflex and hopefully shortens your pumping time. I personally didn't think it was worth the extra money because the Advanced was so new, so I got the Original. I pump 3 times a day at work and I have been very happy with the Original.
Good Luck!

missmelis01
10-20-2004, 02:30 PM
I have a friend who found a brand new PIS on eBay for only $179.

vdrake71
10-20-2004, 03:15 PM
I believe that I bought it off of ebay for $224.00. The person that I bought it from was a LC who sold many Medela Pumps. My pump does have the adjustable speed and vacuum control, but all I need to do is hook it up turn the speed to max and sit back and let it do the rest. It automatically goes from one mode to the next. If I am in a rush, I just need to hit the button for it to change modes. It does come with the battery pack and I have been using this pump since January. At one point I was pumping 3 times a day a work and 1 time at home. I currently only have to pump 1 time at work since I have such a large stash.

I don't know if this is true or not, but my sister has a PIS and she said that my advanced is not as loud as the PIS.