PDA

View Full Version : Scheduling solids into day of breastfeeding

eb1
10-12-2004, 11:45 AM
So far I am only feeding my 7-month-old solids once per day, usually a little after or a little before a BFing session, and usually in the early afternoon, whenever it's convenient.

Is there a general age range by which I should be feeding solids three times per day and at regular mealtimes? I'm hesitant to push for this because I don't want BFing to become the supplement to the solids. But how do I go about getting there (to that schedule) anyway?

Momof3Labs
10-12-2004, 10:46 PM
Follow her lead!!! We were at two solid meals by about 9 months, and added a third solid meal sometime after that. But if what you are doing works for you, stick with it!!

jillc
10-12-2004, 11:45 PM
My DD just turned 7 mos today. We started solids about 5 weeks ago between (breast)feedings mid-day, and just added a second solids "meal" last week at dinner time, which also falls right between (breast)feedings.

I also don't want BFing to become the supplement to the solids. I tried giving solids right after nursing, but she's full & isn't interested in the solids then. So I figured that doing the solids between nursing sessions would be good. This means that the time that she gets her mid-day solids varies since her nursing times vary depending on what time she's up, what time she naps, etc. Sometimes she eats more than others, and I don't push. Sometimes she wants 15 bites, sometimes just 5.

We decided to add the dinnertime feeding, b/c she seemed really interested in our food when we're eating dinner. We started by just giving her a few cheerios while we eat dinner, which kept her busy & I think made her feel more involved in the meal.

HTH.
Jill

squimp
10-13-2004, 03:38 AM
We did 2 solid meals per day somewhere around 8 months, and now at a year we're up to 3 meals and 1-2 snacks with 4-5 times BF. The easiest meals were lunch and dinner, since I like to get DD in the habit of joining us for meals. During the first few months of solids, we BF at least 30 minutes to an hour before these meals.

I think, as Lori said, follow your baby's lead! Let them self-feed, and don't push the solids once they're full or done.