PDA

View Full Version : What about full-figured babies?

Kayla
10-12-2004, 11:48 AM
I see lots of posts on babies dropping off the growth curve, being in low percentiles, etc., but my concern is on the opposite end. My baby weighed 24 pounds at 9 months, and then after her starting to crawl and me giving her a little less food, she weighed 26 pounds at 10 months. Now at 11 months, I wouldn't be surprised if she's up to 28.

She was 9 pounds at birth, and is on the taller side, 75th (actually, her height percentiles have been dropping, from 90th at birth). Also, my mother tells me I was 26 pounds at a year, so babies run large in my family.

I have her down to 16 ounces of formula a day, and she self-feeds 3 good meals plus a snack or two. I feed her healthy foods (fruits, vegetables, whole grain when possible), but am not a nut about it. She loves to eat!

I guess my question is, is there anything I should do or should I just relax and not worry about it? THanks.

brigmaman
10-12-2004, 12:09 PM
Brig was 6lbs. 12oz. at birth, 14 lbs at 10 weeks and 28 lbs at 1 year. Our ped said it was fine, nothing to be worried about at all. He was pretty consistently within the 90-98 percentile for his first year and now he's up around the high 80's.
I wouldn't worry at all! She sounds pretty healthy!

hez
10-12-2004, 01:44 PM
Payton's in the 90-95th percentile for height and weight, too. He was in the 27+ pound range at his 12 month appointment I think. We're in the 'relax and not worry about it' mode. He gets good healthy food, and we're attempting to avoid snacks that aren't in the fruit/veggie or yogurt families. I never expected to have such a chunk, but boy, the chubby cheeks are fun :) so we're just enjoying the ride at this point.

tarahsolazy
10-12-2004, 02:41 PM
My guy is nice and squishy, too! He's 24lbs at 7 months, and 28 in. You should see his legs! He's 75th percentile for height, and 95th for weight. Its fine, really. Its hard to overfeed babies, especially if they are BF, but even with formula.
I would not limit her intake of healthy foods at all, let her have as much as she wants, with the caveat that the general formula recommendation for around a year is 24-30oz a day. And you've already weaned below that. She's just a healthy girl. Oh, and fat babies do not turn into heavier kids or overweight adults in any larger numbers than skinny babies, if you were worried for later.

mamaturk
10-12-2004, 05:47 PM
Reilly is also a "chunky monkey"!! She is 10 1/2 months old and weighs 26 lbs. Our Ped agrees with us and says she is perfect just the way she is!

squimp
10-12-2004, 06:26 PM
I also say RELAX and don't worry, especially since you're keeping an eye on her formula and letting her eat her fill of healthy options. Sophia's in the 90% for weight and 95% for height. She's healthy, can fight off colds better than DH, and has such cute pinchable cheeks!

If anything, just revisit the question when your baby is older.

Kayla
10-12-2004, 10:05 PM
All right, thank you. I'm down to 16 ounces of formula because my doctor said at a year her recommends 12-20 and she is so big. I just want to make sure that I'm giving her the best start. And yes, those cheeks and thighs are delicious!

Momof3Labs
10-12-2004, 10:50 PM
>Also, my mother tells me I was 26 pounds at a
>year, so babies run large in my family.

There's the answer to your question! Babies often follow the growth curve of one of the parents (Colin followed mine - barely 20lbs at a year). As long as she's eating good stuff and seems happy, why worry now? Her shape will change again as she becomes more and more active!

jubilee
10-15-2004, 05:46 AM
I just had to laugh at the "full figured babies" LOL
My oldest was 9#13oz at birth and was in the 100%+ group until he was about 2-3 years old and really running around. Later in life he has put on some extra weight, but that is based on bad eating habits- not about his baby years.

lablover
10-18-2004, 05:39 PM
Just wanted to add that one of my nephews was 30 lbs at 1 yr. He is now a scrawny 9 yr old - so enjoy the baby fat! My DS has been off the charts with weight and 95% for height since about 4 months - he was 26 lb 10 oz at 11 months and the peds say he's a nice healthy baby.

TraciG
10-19-2004, 01:15 PM
I worry that Sydney will be a chunky girl when she's older, me & my hubby are both short & chubby ! Sydney was 21 lbs at 9 months, i'll find out her weight November 1st , her 1 year check up, she has chubby legs, so cute & it looks like she needs a bra !

Whenever somone is eating shell rush over to them & stand there holding onto their leg, like a puppy until they feed her, she'll do this even right after she has eaten !!!!!!!!

Kayla
10-19-2004, 09:36 PM
You make me laugh!!! My daughter is the same way! If anyone else is eating, she's needs to sample some.

I was at the doctor at 11 months for her flu shot, and she was still 26 pounds. That means no weight gained in a month. So it is possible for them to slow down, I suppose.

Maybe I should start worrying, lol!!!